• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do you like the heavy equipment repair industry?

lethalweapon100

Hey all, new to HEF. Let me introduce myself. Names Mike, 17 years old, still in highschool. Planning for the rest of my life here.

I've decided I would like to get into the heavy equipment repair/diesel mechanic field. I wrench on cars and trucks and motorcycles already, but ever since I was young Ive loved heavy equipment. I would like to take the step up to working on the big toys.

With college comimg around, too, i was really looking at Caterpillars thinkbig program, the 4 year one. After i work for a while, I would like to move up to the management side of things and move up the company ladder. So i just want to get everyones opinions. How do you like working on what you work on? Any advice about getting into the field in the future? Any advice on perhaps how i could get an apprentiship now? Lastly, does anyone work for cat/has gone through the program? How did you like it?

Thanks all.
Mike

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Welcome to HEF Mike. Although I am always fixing something I am not a mechanic by trade so can not answer your question diirectly. However recently there was a post about the Cat training program with a number of responses, good and bad experiences. Go to the upper right hand corner of the forum and do a search. I am certain that a 17 year old has more ability than most of us old codgers to find what you need in the search function.

lethalweapon100

Welcome to HEF Mike. Although I am always fixing something I am not a mechanic by trade so can not answer your question diirectly. However recently there was a post about the Cat training program with a number of responses, good and bad experiences. Go to the upper right hand corner of the forum and do a search. I am certain that a 17 year old has more ability than most of us old codgers to find what you need in the search function.

Ill use that and look, thanks!

nowing75

Think big sounds like a good deal as it's hard to find a free education. I do no know anyone that has gone through the program so only no what I hear. I started out as an aircraft mechanic but after 9/11 that industrie changed so I went into heavy equipment repair. I enjoy it as I think I was born with a wrench in my hand. If you work hard and keep learning you will never be withought a job. Message if I can help in any other way.
Jason

Welcome to the forum mike. I went through the THINK BIG program a little over 10 years ago and personally had a horrible experience. That being said, each program is different and I have met guys over the years who went to different programs and enjoyed the school. It is a foot in the door and at most CAT dealers its the only way to get hired without any prior experience. The schools are geared toward equipment technicians. I wound up working as a mechanic in the oil field. But it is a good thing to have on your resume if you decide to go in a different direction than equipment. You will get more out of your time at the dealership than school most likely. Learn all you can from the guys in the shop and build upon that. It will take time but eventually you'll get comfortable with what you're doing. Now, I have seen it many times where guys come in right out of high school and start the school then rack up a huge bill with the tool guys only to find that they really don't want to do this line of work. Not to mention any debt you may acquire for school loans. If you get in there and figure out you it's not what you thought there's no reason to be ashamed of that. This line of work isn't for everybody just like lot's of other careers. Personally I wouldn't want to be a dr. But I have seen some guys leave the program to go on to do something like that. My point is don't get in so deep that it would be harder for you to back out if you find you want to pursue other things. If you do find it is for you it is a very secure line of work for the most part that can take you anywhere in the world. It's hard work and it can suck at times but hey, it's got to be better than riding a desk all day!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums lethalweapon100!

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Helped one of my guys unload a 9,000$ snap on box this week. Said he felt like a real mechanic now! What!?
I too wrenched on everything I had when I was young. I just kind of fell along this path. Now 15 years later with Cat, I enjoy most everyday. Nothing better than seeing a broken machine put back to work by your hands.

wornout wrench

40 years I have been doing this dirty, filthy, greasy, smelly, disgusting job. AND LOVING IT!

If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would do the same thing.

Now with retirement just a few short years away, I will admit that I can get a bit cranky and try to avoid some of the more horrible jobs, but that is where guys like you come in. Time for us old guys to take a step back and hand over the wheels of industry to you young guys.

I have no idea what think big is, but if you have a chance to get in to the trade, and you want to do it, go for it.

It's been a hell of a ride:woohoo

dist3

Occupation
Equipment Manager Enviromental and Site Contractor
Depending on your location in New York you can check with Cat dealerships HR departments and see which programs and internships are offered. I think one dealership works with a school in PA that isn't part of the think big program. SUNY Cobleskill offers a program also. Deere program I think.

I know some dealerships offer what they call a job shadow program. My understanding is basically you don't get paid but you get the opportunity to observe the mechanics in the shop. Kind of gives you an inside look into the industry to see if you like it. I'm sure it varies from dealership to dealership but might be worth asking about.

DARO

Occupation
Mechanic
I've been in the trade for 15 years and really enjoy it. I would second what was said about getting to much debt. Think like you have 30 years to build your tool set. Because you do. :)

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Yep, 15 years later and I carry 30-40 grand in tools on may truck and I don't own a tool box! Ok, one that I work out of. Of course my snap on is in the shed but that's play tools, not work tools.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Good advice about the tool truck!!!
I don't know about the "THINK BIG" program either..
30 years ago I went to Nashville Auto Diesel College and was taught gas and diesel.. about 9 months worth of Great schooling..
and gives you some sort of idea what you would like to specialize in..
My TOP 2 were diesel fuel injection or heavy duty transmissions.. by the time the course was over on transmissions, I could take 3 totaly different dismantled trans, mix up the parts, gears and clutch packs and put 3 different working trans back togather..
BUT, the instructor, who did this kind of work his entire life, only had 3 fingers on each hand from getting them caught between gears and such..
That kinda left a BAD TASTE in my mouth for Heavy Duty Transmissions.. LOL
Its to bad, cuz I was GOOD at it..
The school has a finanical aid program and a job assist program, along with housing, dorms and food..
When I was done, I had 2 job offers, 1 from a huge local car dealer and 1 from a fuel injection shop 400 miles away from home..
I went w/ the inj. shop and never looked back..
I'm not trying to push NADC its just another thought you may not have considered.. and it will give you an "over-all" picture of what you may want to do in your career..
When I got the job I needed tools.. I went to Harbor freight and filled an entire tool box for about 250.00 LOL I still have some of those wrenchs but they are ground down and bent into "specialty " tools..
TRUE STORY>> a guy needed to borrow a wrench and I handed him a HF wrench.. He laughed and said what the hel* is this?? Why don't you get some REAL WRENCH'S??
I said, THOSE WRENCH'S have made more money than YOU"LL EVER SEE IN YOUR LIFE..!!
Good luck in your adventure..

FSERVICE

I have been in this since I was in diapers ( REALLY) dad was a independent mech I got to go along & sit in the truck, several LOOOOOOOOOOONG DAYS spent in the cab hot & cold ( prolly considered child abuse now days LOL) but it was great & I wanted to be there more than anyplace else!!! I attended the diesel program at a vocational school while in high school which its great being THE smart kid in class:) LOL then as I got older I got to do more than just be his "go for"....the tool thing I have saw guys get the big boxes & last a year or not that long & sell them cheap or let them go back, my tool box has a Kenworth badge on it!! we don't want to talk $$$$$$$ expensive tool boxes!! LOL im going to tell you something a old fellow told me years ago & remember this cause every word is TRUE " if you enjoy what you do for a living, you will never work a day in your life!!!" hope you the very best in your pursuits

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
ThinkBIG is a great program, but just like life it really is what you make it, your call. Just show up and work hard and don't make TOO many mistakes and your good to go.

Volvomad

Not a qualified mechanic, know nout about yer education system ,but if you are doing it , do it well . Having done some college courses , get stuck in, dont shy away, dont be over confident, just be very eager to learn ,question plenty

check

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Snapon tools are a trap to avoid. I worked on heavy equipment from 1979 to 1982, then went in the oil field and worked on gas compressors, generators, pumps and cranes offshore for 15 years and all my tools were provided. I really can't say I loved being a mechanic but figured I'd hate any kind of work I did, I might as well do what I had some experience in. The last 10 years I worked offshore was big bucks and I retired at age 44.
One way to buy tools is to buy a whole set of US made tools from a retiring mechanic or their estate, then weed out what you don't want by selling on Craigslist. Back in my day, Craftsman boxes were built much better than they are now and many pros used them.