• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do you advertise? I've got to figure out a different market....

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Our mob charges average $350-500 per move, 20 mile radius. 325 or D3 it's the same rate.

Wrecker service we use has a tri-axle Landoll thats great to move iron on. Thursday we put the D3 and a 279 on it and sent it downtown. We can also put the D3 and 533 on the same load.

Zewnten

So I need to go deep into 6 figs in more equipment and put several people on the payroll and the phone will start ringing? Quite literally the only people that ring me are looking for basically free work. Enough so that I now just shoot from the hip with a low number and see what they do. The discussion of equipment, personnel, and competence rarely comes into the discussion. Literally "how much for this?"....

I mention my math (engineer) background only because it affords me the ability to both design/PE stamp, and execute a job. It doesn't mean I want to get into massive municipal projects though. I am just looking to graduate away from pond work.

There is a ton of residential housing happening right now and I even reached out to a classmate and builder/developer that probably does 150 homes a year. He has a guy he calls for basement digs, end of discussion. Didn't even get to learn what they cost or anything.
When I first moved to Denver a family member tried talking me into starting a grading/excavating business. Put some ads out and got some calls, gave fair bids and was under cut each time by guys working for their expenses/no profit or people deciding that they could do it themselves. Usually didn't do the the job right either but the home owner didn't know the difference until the rain came. Then they'd call me back, I'd adjust the quote for having to fix it and they'd double down on the cheap guy or rent more equipment, how hard can it be?

Switched to wrenching and no one questions the prices. One of my first full time positions was at a rental store. Every weekend I saw weekend warriors come in to rent a skid steer and trailer with a 10 hour allowance over 2 days. Usually came back Monday with 3 hours from Saturday and 8-10 on Sunday. The smart ones would eat their humble pie and admit it was a lot harder than they thought but many would just complain about the machines like it was it's fault the operator didn't know what they were doing. The only good client I had was a former federal bid award-er/adjuster, he knew good work costs and was happy to pay it. He soon became my only client and his word of mouth led to other good clients.

Sometimes it takes one opportunity but throwing numbers out without looking, especially lower ones, will run off guys that know what they're doing/expecting. I know I wouldn't unless it was straight forward job with no potential for hidden problems, anyone who did would instantly be questionable.