• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do I move dirt from 150 foot long bar ditch to fence line?

halliwellc

set your post put the fence where you want it then just have a truck load of top soil delivered & install it under the fence;) just stay away from digging in that right of way.. the code enforcement is not happy with you already by the sound of your first post, no reason to provoke them any farther!!

Code enforcement's "happiness" is not my concern. I will comply with the law. Scraping some dirt from the ditch will not be a problem; the damn thing is 80 years old and filled up with crap now anyway. The culvert under the driveway is half buried.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
...just looking for advice on the hands-on use of heavy equipment...heavy equipment forum here...

Very well aware of what kind of forum we have here...:cool2

You've gotten good advice on the question you've asked, it's up to you to whether you take it or disregard it.

halliwellc

Removing soil from the side of the ditch is still a modification you can't perform without permission from the city. And not to be rude....but drainage, elevation and worrying about utilities and ton of other things is part of operating. I still suggest consulting a professional on your project.

Assuming I get the city's approval, what's the right equipment to do the job?

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
Assuming I get the city's approval, what's the right equipment to do the job?

Everyone here is trying to save you from further headaches. It's as simple as that.

I've already said it two times...maybe the third time will get the point across. If you're going to work anywhere is that ditch (even with permission), don't do it yourself. I can see from your photo that there are marked, buried utilities. If there are any buried lines from a cable or internet service, I can guarantee that they're not very deep...especially if its Verizon. I've "located" their lines several feet from their flags at no more than 2" deep. Verizon field employees will quietly admit that they're giving a best-guess regarding their location. If you hit them they will hold you accountable...read PAY out of your pocket or hit your credit rating after it goes to collection if you refuse. Search "Hit Verizon line" or something like that and read millions of homeowner horror stories.

If drainage in your yard will be okay, I'd have a load of soil delivered. Take the money you would use for equipment rental and hire a couple of guys with shovels and wheelbarrows to build your mound.

WaterDoc

Occupation
Complete water system disinfection services
I would look into planting a black cedar hedge if privacy is your concern. We did a hedge at my parents house last summer. Bought the cedars at 3-4' tall and this year they are 6'+. Should be 12' by next summer and with some pruning they fill in very quickly.

muskoka guy

Occupation
builder
As stated you can clearly see utilities marked out. If you have no experience on machinery, you would not be able to complete the job any cheaper renting equipment. Hiring an experienced operator will turn out just as cheap as trying to do it yourself. They know the best way to do things and will keep you from getting in trouble by hitting utilities. This can get real expensive fast. Seems strange that the neighbor can have a higher fence than you. Whats up with that. Most towns have fencing bylaws and they apply to all equally.

Shimmy1

Halliwellc, I will give some advice on the dirt work. Sounds like you are determined to do it yourself. Good for you. AFTER you call in a locate, everything has been marked, you have waited the required amount of time, AND you have hand-dug the utilities to verify their location and depth, a 5 ton mini-ex with a 4 ft ditch cleaning bucket should work wonderful. Rent yourself a slope laser and find a buddy to run stick for you. Survey the ditch downstream, maybe you can clean the ditch somewhat. Just don't go any deeper than what will run downstream. That way if the city gets pissed you can say you were fixing the drainage for free, but you would be more than happy to send them a bill and maybe rile everyone else up to get their ditch cleaned out.

td25c

The city considers a stack of pavers a fence, so the combined height would violate ordinance.

Sounds like the city is hard to please . I noticed in the picture the posts look 6 foot tall . Did you build the fence 6 foot to begin with then cut the cover boards off at 4 foot ?

To be honest ..... At this stage in the game in life I would build what I wanted to start with similar to the neighbors fence . About 6 foot tall . Nice looking fence .

If the city comes by to complain about it , simply tell them to Go to Hell .:)

Attachments

• Screen%20Shot%202014-10-11%20at%202.38.57%20AM[1].jpg
    Screen%20Shot%202014-10-11%20at%202.38.57%20AM[1].jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 122