• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How Do I Know When To Hire?

Copenhagen

A little backstory: Before the recession, I worked as an estimator for a medium sized excavating/environmental company. After all was said and done, I was laid off.

I decided to get back to my small business roots and I started up a landscaping/light excavating company. For the past three years, the business has grown and done pretty well considering the current state of the economy.

Anyways, I have done 90% of the work by myself with a little help from friends here and there.

Over the past few weeks, I have lined up enough work to last me through the better part of the summer. Most of the work I can handle alone but there are two large landscapes planned in which I would like to have some help.

My question is, how do you know when you have the financial stability and work lined up to hire someone?

I'm just nervous about it because I dont want to bring someone in and then have to kick them out a month later because work has dried up. Given that most of my jobs only take a few days, I always run the risk of not having something for a week or two.

tylermckee

as long as all you need is someone to labor, i would just stick with using a labor staffing company. Have always had decent luck with the guys sent out, if they are good just have them keep coming back, or get a new guy if he's not worth a damn.

Copenhagen

as long as all you need is someone to labor, i would just stick with using a labor staffing company. Have always had decent luck with the guys sent out, if they are good just have them keep coming back, or get a new guy if he's not worth a damn.

I have done this many times before in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

I guess I am really looking for someone that can keep things going while I peel off to look at another job. I dont feel comfortable leaving a day laborer alone with my tools and equipment.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
well you can find someone you like, then send them thru the staffing company. Then you have who you want, and when you need it.

BIAVAEX

I'm just getting started myself but given the current scale of things have needed someone. Atleast in our area, this is the best time to hire. I have hired an old mutual friend of a friend. He is a laid off millwright(indust maintenance) This guy is worth his weight in gold. His welding and fabricating skills are awesome. He has a CDL, and is just plain intelligent.I pay him 13-15/hr depending on what we r doing(15 for some of the more advanced welding and fab(alot cheaper than taking it to someone)). I know from having to hire for a company for the last 6 years sometimes that extra 3-5 dollars per hr will give u double the production. Plus it is hard to but, always nice to have someone you can rely on to finish the work if u get tied up