• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do adjust a clutch in a JD310

fiatmom

I would like to thank everyone on this forum for the amount of help, and incredible advice you have given me. Thanks to you I have been able to keep this machine going.
I have what may be another problem. When I am driving the RPMs seem higher than the speed might indicate. Also In the high range it is sluggish and will not pull a grade. It was run a short distance with low fluid when I blew a line. Could this be a clutch adjustment issue? The pedal is one inch from the floor when resistance is felt. The manual said it should be 3/4 of an inch max.. How would I adjust it? It said to turn the linkage, how do I know how much?

Again I thank you
Nick

house cat

I would like to thank everyone on this forum for the amount of help, and incredible advice you have given me. Thanks to you I have been able to keep this machine going.
I have what may be another problem. When I am driving the RPMs seem higher than the speed might indicate. Also In the high range it is sluggish and will not pull a grade. It was run a short distance with low fluid when I blew a line. Could this be a clutch adjustment issue? The pedal is one inch from the floor when resistance is felt. The manual said it should be 3/4 of an inch max.. How would I adjust it? It said to turn the linkage, how do I know how much?

Again I thank you
Nick
I think if it was the clutch slipping that bad you would be able to smell it starting to burn and stink, try backing up a hill with it and see if it seems to slip, 310 some times will start slipping in the forward clutch pack, but will work fine going in reverse, if it works good in reverse then you are looking at rebuild on clutch pack.

fiatmom

It runs slow then kicks in in forward, I will try reverse. How big of a job is a clutch pack?

house cat

Do you mean it starts slow then seems to grab hold and pull good, rebuild on clutch packs are pain in the butt I assume that you have a straight 310 older model hoe, you have to split engine from trans then pull front plate from transmission

house cat

I did forget to ask what hyd trans fluid did you put back in it, because I have a 410 jd that will slip the clutch packs real bad unless john deere fluid is used and on the other hand I have a 310a that you can put anything in and it will work just fine with no slip at all, will check back in tomorrow to see what you found out