• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How did Pacific label their trucks?

ben46a

I've seen pictures of P12s that looked larger than P16s without even mentioning the ultras, and some P10s that looked larger than some P12s. How did their lettering scheme work?

64Pacific

The numbering system went like this:

Prior to around May 1965, or the release of the P9, the trucks were assigned a number based upon the rear end model numbers. I have a 1964 Pacific, model SRDD-D, in that truck it has SRDD-D rear ends; I have seen Pacific model 4640 which told you that they originally had 4640's for rear ends.

Following this, the numbering system was modified to include the depth of the frame rails, the P9 had 9" deep frame rails, the P10, 10" frame rails and so on. Available were the P9, P10, P12, P12W, P12W3, P12W3 Ultra, P14 (only a handful were built), P16. I will elaborate more on the P12 models when I get home, but the W3 designation denoted a 12" deep frame rail mounted on the outside of the standard double frame. The P500 series, was essentially the replacement of the P9, and it has a lot of sub-designations as well...

Check out my website www.pacifictruckclub.org -I will post more info there eventually