• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How and Why?? One beat up machine.

06bowtie_guy

I was just looking around the net and found this case 9020B for sale. The counter weight looks like it was used for a demo job on cement. Then before seeing pics I read this.
NOTES SHEET METAL IS ROUGH
NEW HYDRAULIC PUMP
STICK IS BENT

http://www.equipmentlocator.com/photos/equip/350196-7.jpg
http://www.equipmentlocator.com/photos/equip/350196-2.jpg

So any ways I'm just wondering how everyone thinks they bent the stick?? You would think the machines hyd system would go into releif before having the power to swing and bend that right??

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Not to bash Case excavators but I think bent booms is common. One of the local contractors has a Case excavator I forget the size but its a 200 sized machine. They snapped the boom right off it got replaced with a boom off of a Linkbelt. I know the old boom on the excavator wasn't repairable so they bought a used boom and stick from a parts yard. Looks funny with a red and white boom and case orange machine.

Running a rock breaker on a excavator finds all the weak links that machine could have seen breaker use for quite a few years.

Wulf

As Jim said, I'd like to see how the stick (or is it the boom?) is bent before making any guesses.

I've seen twisted sticks before and summised that a wide bucket was side loaded or similar torsional stress applied. Relief valves will protect the hydraulic system to some degree but with the cylinders at stroke end they are ineffective especially when used in demolition.

bosco0104

Maybe it didn't bend itself, I have seen another excavator bend one it was working in tandem with.

fjdole

I am looking for a used Service manual for a Case 9020B, can anyone help?

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
I seen an excavator that was on a float when the whole rig got creamed by a train at a crossing. Needless to say, that stick was bent....

dozerdave

If I had to buy a can of paint and brush out of my own pocket I would do it rather than operate something that ugly. People going by might think I did that damage.

Aardvark

could be the boom

could also be the boom twisted.
"terracing" and walking off a level pad at full reach, down on to one that had a cross camber so that the bucket had a torsional twist load on it may do it too.
just my 2 cents.:D:eek:

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Twisting a boom or stick on any size excavator is a very simple affair and many excavators come with a special add on extra to achieve this :rolleyes:

Its a largish nut thing that is located midway between the pilot control levers and generally is balanced on the levelish soft thing called the seat. Some models are known to have the standing modification that has advanced so far it doesnt need to balance on the seat it can actually stand upright with just a little support gained from the padding.

Thankfully many owners have not gone with this add on due to the cost implications although as the pictures show some owners think it worth the investment :Banghead

I operated an Hitachi EX300 for almost a year and only found something wrong when a very large oversize grading bucket was pinned on.
I swore the lugs were not level as it always seemed to be heavy on the right side when grading, then another operator told me the story of the machine being used to extract piles from the river.
The machine was struggling and the boss instructed this other operator to give it some assistance with the FH220 he was operating.
The unequal forces of the extra machine pulling to one side resulted in the dipper arm folding up like a baked bean can.

I must give due credit to the guy who rebuilt it :notworthy it was only when I was shown to look down the length of the dipper from the top pin that I could just make out the very slight miss alignment.

Hendrik

Generally caused by using the boom as a hammer............sideways.
"ooh look there is a wall I want to knock down, I know I'll just really quickly swing around and smash the bucket into it"

Neil D

Occupation
contractor
As stated earlier these Case machines including the later models are well known for this sort of thing. I know of one contractor bought a secondhand Case 210 last year and as it was dark and raining did not pay proper attention to the boom. Its first job off the low loader the fillers and paint fell out and had to be repaired.
Neil

JDOFMEMI

Generally caused by using the boom as a hammer............sideways.
"ooh look there is a wall I want to knock down, I know I'll just really quickly swing around and smash the bucket into it"

I had an "operator" do that with my 235 on his last day of work. Got the call that the stick just "fell off" and he had no idea why.

A very short investigation later I found he had been swinging sideways into a masonary wall to knock it over. After a couple of good hits, the pin that holds the stick to the main boom snapped, and the stick dropped, pulling the lines for the bucket cylinder out by their roots.

Fortunately there was no structural damage visible, so a new pin, some new bushings, and a couple of hoses and it was back digging.

The lever puller had some time to think it over while he was out looking for a new job.

JDOFMEMI

Stock

That is painfull to watch.

I had an operator that tried it that way once.

I sent him packing, and the land developer next door hired him and gave him a new EX-750 to run.

He treated it just like the video you posted. I once asked the developer about it and he said "It's cheaper than renting a hammer, and besides, it's a rental"

I just shook my head at that one.
Next time I was around the rental house, I let their service manager know, and he watched it, but did nothing at the time, bucause the developer was a major customer.

I heard the damage bill has huge when the machine came back.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I'm not going to get into the abuse BS that some guys here that ALWAYS have the right "TOOL" for the job like to clame. I have seen a stick twist when the operator didn't grab onto a beam square with a shear.