• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hours vs. Miles???

caseaddict01

I'm just curious about this, but how does hours equate to miles?? I have a machine that has approx. 2000 hours and have often wonder how that would equal to miles.

gr79

Two examples:
Installed a hour meter in the Ford Ranger back in '94.
Calculations result to between 35-40 mph ave.
Mix of city and highway driving like 40/60. The mix affects ave. mph.
More idle time like in city driving =less mph.
So we will buy the 33-40 numbers. For a car.

However

My Yale electric 6000# cpy forklift at work has electronic readouts of hyd. pump hours and total hours.
If the 40mph cal is used, it means it has been driven (4000 hr x 40=) 160,000 miles?
NO WAY.
It is a well maintained, nice machine, well built, runs great.
Even using a more real 3 mph ave comes to 12,000 hilo miles.
Round trip NYC to Californey 2 times on a hilo in 4 years! Owww.
But if used as 12,000 car miles-well the car was driven REAL HARD and will be junk at only 50,000.

Wearwise, it IS like a well maintained car with 160,000 on it. Like a 160,000 truck? ehhh..maybe a pickup truck. Like 160,000 on a semi, railroad engine, aircraft-no.

Odometers and hour meters generate numbers.
How the number is used varies widely to determine wear, etc.

Last edited:

Dufoman

Now I am confused

Thanks for all the different and various formulas...Don't know what to do with this knowledge now... Cause most diesel pickups aren't really broke in until over 100k miles, this means that a skidsteer isn't broke in until 3000 hours (+/-)... Don't quite seem right to me..

gr79

My take on this is ave mph cannot be accurately calculated without knowing the mileage. A stationary generator hour meter= 0 miles forever.
Or the 'rule of thumb': one dog or horse year is like ?? human.

Each piece of equipment has its own linear or non linear comparison chart.
Hours/wear on similar type equipment can be compared to each other.
Apples and oranges are different but similar, as they both are fruits.
I read an insurance company would know how to, say, prorate a boat with 100 hrs. One source said that's like 10k miles on a car.
Maybe your machine's mfr has these numbers for you.