• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hour meter on a case 850b

Beer man

Occupation
Own a beer distributor
Replaced the hour meter on my case 850b. All went well....I thought. Meter worked fine...one small problem is that the meter runs even when the engine is not running. Is there a switch on the engine that may be sticking? Reaching for straws!!

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
There should be an engine oil pressure switch located behind your dash. This allows the hourmeter operation & alternator charging to happen only while engine is running
:drinkup

Beer man

Occupation
Own a beer distributor
What would cause the hour meter to continue to run when the engine isn't ?

alrman

Occupation
You have it connected to a constant power source ..... how much beer is involved in this repair?? :D

Beer man

Occupation
Own a beer distributor
Always beer involved!!!! I disconnected the old non- functioning hour meter and plugged the new one in. If the previous owner didn't screw with the wiring ( I noticed the hour meter was a replacement ) is there any other possibility other than a direct wiring job?

alrman

Occupation
This is what it is supposed to look like - switch in red ; hourmeter in green & wires in between ;)

Attachments

• 850B dash.gif
    850B dash.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 187

Beer man

Occupation
Own a beer distributor
Where might the oil pressure switch be located? On the top of the engine or??? Thanks for your help!

alrman

Occupation
There is a rectangular plate, between the bonnet & operator grab rail..... directly above/behind the dashboard. It lives under that panel.

Beer man

Occupation
Own a beer distributor
I found the oil pressure switch and the hour meter is wired correctly. Is it possible that the switch is stuck on? If so is that switch particular to Case or could I find one at an auto parts store?

alrman

Occupation
Beer man - first tool required by anyone undergoing any sort of electrical repair- a test light .......:rolleyes:
Yes, the switch maybe stuck & yes, you can buy one anywhere :)

Beer man

Occupation
Own a beer distributor
Thank you. I feel confident that is the problem now that you've given your insight.