• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hough Cummins revving

BrianY

I have a HB65 Hough payloader with 1967 Cummins (jn130 i think not sure really) diesel revs high on starting comes down a bit if needle valve i put on fuel line back to tank is cracked but then stalls if valve opened more.
If kept running on high revs it wont turn off with key.
Any advice thanks

Delmer

How about a picture of the injection pump/system? Might get more help than a Hough question.

You'll need three posts before you can post a picture, so reply to this two more times, then you can post a pic, or just give the pump system or model number.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I'm thinking if it is a 1967 then it would have a PT pump of some kind.

One thing that might help would be to know if this is a new problem. Like it ran fine last week and just started doing this this morning.

Or machine has been parked behind a barn out in the woods for 25 years and I'm trying to get it running so I can skid some logs!

But yes some pictures would be handy.

BrianY

righto not onsite at moment but will get some. New problem a
nd used start up and settle down. Been sitting only 3 months over winter.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
To get the terminology correct, it's a Hough H65 Series B, sometimes just called the H65B. Originally produced as just the H65 loader, then produced as the Hough H65 series B, then the Hough H65 Series C.

The Series B was originally fitted with the Cummins JN6 as far as I know. I believe the GM diesel was also an option. I believe some later Series B and the Series C were fitted with the International engines (they used both the DT407 and DT414 - International Harvester swapped engines like I change my shirts - often).

If it has an International engine, a large IH symbol (a "H" with the "I" in the centre) cast into the engine block, is highly visible in the centre of the block casting.
The Cummins JN6 uses the PT fuel injection system. Photos would be good.

There's a discussion below, with photos, about an ex-military Cummins JN6 that was up for sale in 2009.
The ID plate and location is clearly shown. Getting a photo of the engine ID plate in the Hough would help greatly.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=89280&DisplayType=flat&setCookie=1

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Here's some nostalgia for you old Hough/IH aficionados - a promo film for the Hough H65C! Brings back a few memories, I'll wager! F1800 trucks, no cabins, and no electronics!! :)

It always amazed me that Hough was ahead of its time with the Z-bar loader linkage - but behind the 8-ball with that stupid setup of mounting the operators platform on the front half of the loader!

Last edited:

Minnesota Eric

Here's some nostalgia for you old Hough/IH aficionados - a promo film for the Hough H65C! Brings back a few memories, I'll wager! F1800 trucks, no cabins, and no electronics!! :)

It always amazed me that Hough was ahead of its time with the Z-bar loader linkage - but behind the 8-ball with that stupid setup of mounting the operators platform on the front half of the loader!

As I understand it, the Cab forward was the result of a poll where operators were asked if they preferred the cab forward or rearward. At the time, operators preferred the cab placed forward of the center pin. And so it began.

Welder Dave

The idea was you steered the bucket. Hough IH were good loaders. Tha cab on the front section is preferred by some operators. It doesn't necessarily make it less of a loader. Hough were pretty popular loaders.

Last edited:

Acecadet

It sounds like you could have a bad injector. You shouldn’t have to restrict the fuel return to keep it running. Sounds like the fuel is just blowing though one injector right back to tank. I would also remove the fuel shut off solenoid and inspect it. It should keep all fuel from flowing to the injectors when the power is off. Unless of course someone has the bypass screw turned in a bit. I would remove the fuel return lines from the injectors and observe while cranking, to see if the return flow is dramatically higher on one than all the others.

Minnesota Eric

The idea was you steered the bucket. Hough IH were good loaders. Tha cab on the front section is preferred by some operators. It doesn't necessarily make it less of a loader. Hough were pretty popular loaders.

Not only that but farm quads, for the most part, retain the cab on the front of the machine.