• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hough 65C Hydraulic Reservoir with continual water contamination

Kiwi Tussock

I have been troubled for years as to why or how water has been getting into the reservoir. Im presently in the middle of doing the ol' girl up and have had the reservoir empty for about 2 months. Its always been covered and water has been found after even the smallest amount of rain. I found that water has been entering from around the shaped v shaped flange where the large seal which sits between the lid and the main tank. So I put RTV inside the V section & sealed it.
BUT... that wasn't the total solution to the problem. :beatsme :cussing
I questioned whether or not it could have been condensation because it middle of winter here but warmish days. The tank 'all up', would be about 80 or even up to 100 litres (I think thats around 100 USA gallon). The amount of water found was commonly up to 200mls!
I pretty well gave up & had a special vinyl hat type cover, $70:mad: made to cover the lid and top part of the tank and now, FINALLY no problem.

For the life of me, I cant work out how that much water was continually getting into the water. Its not coming up from the bottom section of the tank. The hoses are bleed of oil. Its got me beat as well as many others who I though might have more understanding of these sort of issues than I.

If you have come across this problem before and might be able to suggest something, it would be great. :notworthy

lenray

Anybody have a Hough H 60-D ??????????????? iF SO i AM INTERTESTED IN ANY INFO. YOU CAN SHARE ABOUT IT.

Mine has the Cummins straight 6 diesel.

Thankyou

JTWAT

Could you have a leaking Hyd. oil cooler? Ther may be pin holes in the oil side of the radiator.

Kiwi Tussock

hmmmm......, I actually am not aware of any hyd' oil cooler on the machine. Well, I haven't come across it anyway. If you mean the main reservoir, then no, its in excellent condition but hey, thanks for the idea and input.
I haven't check the oil for more contamination for some months now and its now heading into autumn (fall) so it might be an idea just to check it. It has been pretty much sitting in the same place for the last 4 months so it might be an idea to kick it in the guts so to speak and move it on its tyres. I love driving the old girl. She roars into life 1st kick and its never failed me in that regard. Check oil & water, Prime the fuel system, climb up and push the button. Great! I reckon not bad for a 40 plus year old machine. :D

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
Probably has a pressurized hyd tank, this means that either in the cap or a seperate breather there is a relief valve that would hold maybe 7 PSI pressure in the tank while operating the machine. If this valve is stuck open or has come apart, with the heating and cooling of the tank during the day and night it will allow air to be pushed out as the tank warms up and drawn in as the tank cools at night air will be drawn in and with it condensation.

bigray_83

I have a bough H60 straight frame rear wheel steering. I have several manuals for it and am repairing the entire hydraulic system at the moment. What do you need to know.

Kiwi Tussock

Hi 'biggray'
I havent been back at this page of the web site for months but anyway, Im somewhat of a novice at these machines also. I have been getting info from a chap whose family owned the NZ franchise if IH and he worked on servicing them for many years. I had similar questions for him. Grade of oil was one important factor. (10W was the oil recommended.) Replace any hoses that look suspect as all the oil would need draining for some (not all) of them to be replaced.
Also recommended (not by the chap I spoke/written about) was replacing all "O" rings at all hose connection unions. They are so cheap, so if one bursts, the down time is hell-of-a-lot more expensive. I listened to that as well. Only a couple under the reservoir/tank proved more difficult because of the location.
Also recommended, was that a valve be placed on the drain outlet to make it easier next time three main filters were changed and oil drained to a container. Also recommended was that the handle be removed to prevent unwanted tampering & disaster. Another comment I went with, was to buy best large filters I could. I saw an example of 3 types and realized I could have been "penny pinching foolish".
10W is the same oil in the transmission so I bought all I needed for all the oil replacement job I wanted to achieve. It proved cheaper. I went with Valvoline oil as the company I used, had all the filters I wanted also. Many of the filters came from over there in the States.
Good luck and heres hoping you dont find bits of something in the bottom of the tank like I found. (parts of a filter)
Cheers