• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hough 65C Has no 3rd gear. Anyone have any ideas?

Kiwi Tussock

I have been doing the old girl up. Done all the oils & filters. Cleaned trans guaze. Sorted all hoses with the exception of 1 lift ram. Started on brakes. BUT after I put the radiator back in and being all excited about starting the ol' girl up, (1st time in a yr) I did al the check and took it for a wee jaunt. :D
:eek: :eek: PROBLEMS....!!! It had no 3rd! :confused:
When it was warmed up and idling & in neutral, I checked Hydraulic oil level, Trans level and all was ticketie-boo.
I have 1st gear in high range & 1st in low range.
I have 2nd in high and 2nd in low, although it is sluggish when trying to push it along a bit. i.e. when travelling.
I have NO 3rd in high nor 3rd in low.
Does anyone have any idea as to what I should look at to sort this prob.

The only thing that I can get my head around as being a remote possibility, is that the large Trans filter (which I read in the workshop manual should be done up to 100 ft/lb & is torqued up to that) does have a slight leak. I imagine it must be on a pressure side of things because of that needed torque setting. (That filter has been replaced)

I hope like hell that the dollars spent on tarting the old girl up hasn't been wasted on a machine that has a knackered torque convertor. :Banghead

Any suggestions would be GREATFULLY received!

Cheers

lenray

I have an H60 D Probably older than your's. No THIRD either and a neighbor has a really nice smaller one maybe H30 and no THIRD there also.
Where is the lever or whatever that goes from low range to high range--I don't think mine has two differwent ranges in each gear. There are two foot pedals one is the brake i don't know what the other one is--it is between the brake pedal and the gas pedal. THANKS

Kiwi Tussock

About 3 years back, I sold a 60B. I am unsure what a D would be but I'd imagine a later version of a B. Infact, I have a manual for it still stack in a special place. Can't quite remember where that special place is but I know its there somewhere. The pedals haven't worked on any of the 5 machines we have had. There is a n accelerator of course, then a brake, but the other is apparently a brake pedal that somehow disengages the transmission as the same time as it is being pushed. I imagine that its like a farm tractors "live drive" or two stage type clutch which of course disengages the PTO on the way down to the disengagement of the trannie.
The transmission range is selected (on the Hough 65C) by slipping the lever through the 1st, 2nd or 3rd positions and is on the LH side of the dash panel. The Forward, Neutral and Reverse lever is beside it.
Im trying to rattle the memory here but I dont think the 60B had 3 range box. I feel sure someone else out there in cyberland will or could put us right. I'll have a hunt for the 60B's manual this avo.
Cheers

bwmwaima

Could be wrong but I thought the 65C trans was the same as in the 530 loader. Two leavers on the dash, out side one 1st, 2nd 3rd. inside one forward, nutral, reverse. When you say it's sluggish in 2nd sounds like you may have 2nd and 3rd gears and no 1st, as my 530 is quite sluggish in third, and that would point to a possible linkage problem between range lever and shuttle valve block on trans not giving you all three ranges. Cheers.

Rusted

About 3 years back, I sold a 60B. I am unsure what a D would be but I'd imagine a later version of a B. Infact, I have a manual for it still stack in a special place. Can't quite remember where that special place is but I know its there somewhere. The pedals haven't worked on any of the 5 machines we have had. There is a n accelerator of course, then a brake, but the other is apparently a brake pedal that somehow disengages the transmission as the same time as it is being pushed. I imagine that its like a farm tractors "live drive" or two stage type clutch which of course disengages the PTO on the way down to the disengagement of the trannie.
The transmission range is selected (on the Hough 65C) by slipping the lever through the 1st, 2nd or 3rd positions and is on the LH side of the dash panel. The Forward, Neutral and Reverse lever is beside it.
Im trying to rattle the memory here but I dont think the 60B had 3 range box. I feel sure someone else out there in cyberland will or could put us right. I'll have a hunt for the 60B's manual this avo.
Cheers

You have me confused with the "range" comments. It's a long time since I briefly ran one, but I think lenray and bwmwaima are correct and it has a 3F 3R transmission with no hi-lo range. If it's working in 1st and 2nd but not 3rd, I don't see how the converter is the problem as that would affect all gears, sounds more like a linkage/valve problem, or worse case scenario the 3rd gear clutch pack is toast?. You are correct in that the left brake also disengages the transmission to allow bucket raising etc without shifting to neutral, the brake next to the throttle is just a normal brake for roading or going down grades etc.

Last edited:

grandkobelco

Occupation
chainsaw, small engine mechanic
I don't remember these old houghs having a two speed range trany, but some of them might have. I f you can spin your tires in first gear in loose dirt your tourqe converter is good. Near where your charge pump pressure line goes into the controll valve there should be a 1/8'th inch pipe plug where you can test the charge pump pressure. can you put a gage that is able to read up to 500psi in this port? I don't remember the exact spec but 200-240 psi sounds right. The reason 3rd gear doesn't work in a lot of these tranys is they are not a very large dia clutch pack and they got abused a lot when they were new. I agree with rusted one of your brake pedels is for trany disconect.