• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hot water pressure washer Brand Best ?

farmboy555

Occupation
Owner Operator
Looking for some reviews / suggestions on washer & chemicals to clean my trucks & equipment
Thanks

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I purchased a Landa back in 1999; still have it and never a problem. 2000psi and 4gpm hot water is enough to degrease anything out there. There are higher psi and flow ratings but they will wear you out where mine is about right. Mine will make steam if you turn the flow and pressure down to about 2.5gpm also. Diesel fuel fired and again never a problem. It has a 6hp Baldor electric motor driving a General triplex pump. The unloader is a Sutler and everything is first rate.

I get soap from a local supplier which is private labled so don't know the actual brand. Two kinds actually, one is a bit caustic, the other a heavy alkaline base which is what is used on bare aluminum. Car washing soap is very neutral in composition but doesn't do so well on grease without heat.

Tenwheeler

About the same deal here but mine is newer with a V twin Briggs. It replaced the much older Landa with a Honda. Good machines and I thank they are also marked under other brands now.
A local guy started a side business and bought a machine from Northern Tool. A 5 Star or North Star maybe. That did well for a couple years and he sold out.
Neighbor bought a JD machine. It looks and works very similar.
Service maybe as or more important than the brand. Can you maintain and repair it yourself?
Never run it dry or put it away with soap left in the the valves and such.

LN Pipeline

I’ve been shopping lately, too.

The local Hotsy dealer is pushing BE Equipment pressure washers. The Hotsy’s are apparently getting too overpriced.

I’ve pretty much made up my mind I’m going to purchase an Easy-Kleen with Honda motor. I’ll let you know how I like it if I ever get it.

Northstar and Easy-Kleen make independent burners if you already have a good pressure washer. I’m sure there are other brands.

The Hotsy website has some info on different detergents, depending on your needs.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Schaffer's Citrol by the gallon, not the spray can, is the best degreaser that I have yet found. It's expensive but it also works fast and will cut straight grease faster than anything else I've tried. I usually cut it down around 5:1 with water and use it in the pump sprayer. The cheapest way to get it is by the case through a Schaffer dealer. I'm pretty sure they have a minimum order of $350-$400. They also make some good grease.

Hot water or better yet, steam, will certainly clean better and faster. Before I purchased my combo unit (PW+hot water), I added a "Hot Box" steamer from Northern Tool to my pressure washer. It connects in after the PW and can run up to 230 degrees. I still use this after my PTO driven PW that's in my service truck when I need hot water on site. When I have a bad oil spill, this is my go to combination- steam and Citrol. And be sure to use a good set of gloves when dealing with steam or hot water. Mistakes will be burned into your memory and your skin.

My combo unit is 4000 psi 4 gpm and 180 degree water. It does not clean as well as the hot box does but it's my general work horse around the shop. I don't look for anything less than 4 gpm in a PW. And get a rotating nozzle for cleaning the heavy mud and rough stuff. DO NOT ever use a rotating 0 degree stream on radiators or coolers! 10 and 25 degree tips are what I use the most for standard cleaning and I use a flexible 12" hose on one of my handles to allow me to get into those tight spaces. I create a lot of dust/wood debris so I pressure wash a couple times a week in dryer conditions. I don't allow build up in my machines due to fire hazards.

DB2

Have an Easy Kleen currently but it’s given some grief with regard to the thermostat. We used to have a Karcher and it was fairly bullet proof. Lost that in a fire.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Ours is a "Farleys", no idea if they are still around. Doesn't matter, made from common components, our dealer has always serviced it without issues.

Ed

1693TA

Occupation
Karcher now owns Landa but they do allow them to operate autonomously.

terex herder

Check out Water Cannon. I bought repairs for other washers from them for years, then bought a complete machine. Good prices, good service, but my last purchase was several years ago. If you buy a higher pressure machine, you can convert it to lower pressure just by buying a larger tip. Going the other way around busts the pump quickly.

One option I like is a zero flow unloader. When the wand is released it circulates the water back to the pump. With low pressure, its easier to squeeze the trigger and the hose is easier to handle. Because the water is circulating it will heat, so you need to spray a little water every minute or so.

1693TA

Occupation
I did incorporate a "Delay on Break" relay contactor into my machine. If you don't squeeze the trigger on the gun within 15 seconds, the machine shuts down completely till the discharge pressure is relieved. Works slick and I emulated this on the pressure washer I set up with the implement dealer.

Found this short video I'd made when prototyping the electrical layout with the timedown scenario if the pressure is not relieved in the pump:

Last edited:

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I have 2, shop and engine drive in truck with tanks. I am Alkota guy, doubt the brand makes a lot of difference. My shop steamer full view.JPG steamer hose new.JPG Steamer door.JPG 4020 steamers.JPG 4020 steamers.JPG is plumbed in and contreols on the outside.

Tenwheeler

I have 2, shop and engine drive in truck with tanks. I am Alkota guy, doubt the brand makes a lot of difference. My shop View attachment 252292 View attachment 252293 View attachment 252294 View attachment 252295 View attachment 252295 is plumbed in and contreols on the outside.
I used to have a neighboring business. They had a truck fleet. Their
I have 2, shop and engine drive in truck with tanks. I am Alkota guy, doubt the brand makes a lot of difference. My shop View attachment 252292 View attachment 252293 View attachment 252294 View attachment 252295 View attachment 252295 is plumbed in and contreols on the outside.

Used to have a business neighbor. They had a truck fleet. Their Alcoka was electric and natural gas. It was very dependable.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
Yes, I built about 6 of them for oil field service outfit. A couple larger ones had million BTU, about 11 gpm and would run 2 guns. First one I put 2 in the truck and they never used it. Maybe3 more than washing was injection, could pump against a 2000# line for injecting light brine for cleaning piping, often ahead of pigs and for cutting paraffin out of pipe.
The one in my truck is 4 gpm but its hot, I can tell the difference between it and my shop but you get used to it. I think that pic was as I was building it, have 500 gallons and can wash 2 hrs continuous. There is another pump and can pump 50 gallons for fire fight. Has inch and a half hose.
I built it from scrap parts, got 3 or 400 in it including new hose. Might come in handy in a bit, first really cold winter since I built it. Its in insulated box and I keep a heater in it at 45 or so and its in storage building.

Last edited:

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
The oilfield did not have nop flow or unloaders, they simply adjusted with the by pass and had the triggers taped open. They got used to it, reason was we needed to adjust them for injection.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
What is the point ofr the contactor? Normally there is a no flow to stop the burner and unloader to by pass to put it in idle when the trigger is released.