• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hoping someone can help me with a John Deere 650H

fastfunco

Im having a problem with my dozer- it hunts in and out of forward and reverse- when I let off the Decell pedal she will idle up normally and maybe slowly crawl sometimes- sometimes move forward normally - and sometimes bangs into gear then stops as if I hit decell- in and out in and out -
codes are as follows--
first code is a 3233 then it reads F3J4 and then 393-341-and 344
I believe it needs to be recalibrated- but can not figure out how to do so-
I sure could use some help -
Thanks in advance

fastfunco

soo- nobody knows how to calibrate the transmission computer on a deere 650h?
would anyone possibly have the shop manual you could send me a link to?
please help- im on a job and dozer has sh#t the bed---

fastfunco

don't know if this helps - but she was running perfect before I washed her off after a muddy job-- if nothing else- does anyone have even a suggestion???

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Give it some time and you will get some help. I would guess something got wet, have you tried cleaning the connections with contact cleaner? That would be my first thought.

Delmer

Truly unbelievable!!!!

What's unbelievable? nobody knows how your computer works in under 12 hours? or you withhold information and expect to get a useful answer anyways? If you want a fast and complete answer, buy a Detroit:D

The electrical connectors are usually sealed pretty well, so if you got water in, it's going to take a while for them to dry out unless you can disconnect them. If there's any muddy water at all inside a connector, I'd blow them out with air, or rinse with clean water.

lantraxco

This may help:
http://elvin5.blogspot.com/2008/06/john-deere-transmission-controller.html

Sounds to me like you have multiple problems or have serious issues with the harness connectors. Start pulling plates and covers off, disconnect, clean, and reconnect everything that looks remotely connected to pumps and sensors, then you may need to actually recalibrate. If you're in that tight a bind it may or may not pay to call in the Deere tech and cross your fingers. Hope you get it going.

fastfunco

I had to pull off job- there are no Deere Techs out in my area- We have had a real slow time this past winter and if you could feel my frustration its because that's what I was - extremely frustrated- - my family really needed this income and I let them down- The super on this job needed it done and my dozer ran perfect 2 days ago - - so for this to happen was a major set back for me - I was just hoping for a miracle that's all- I can not afford the manual from Deere- and It will cost a fortune to have a tech drive out here- I need to know if anyone has a manual they would be so kind as to let me download - while ive been a mechanic my whole life- I do not know anything about this problem- this thing has been solid since I purchased it -
as it sits now - by the time I got it on the trailer - I have only forward and reverse - it will not turn either direction now and it will start - go forward and backwards for about 5 min - then starts hunting - hesitating- as if I hit the decal- then it jerks into gear and out - over and over for about 3 min - then it works its way thru the problem and acts normal - except now it will not turn--

lantraxco

I feel your pain, I have been in similar situations more times than I want to remember the last seven or eight years. It sucks.

I'm not all that familiar with the Deere setup, but here's what it looks like to me from the codes:

F3J4
If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (J), it indicates the F3J4 diagnostic trouble code was displayed when exiting calibration with out completion. Wrong harness. Wrong transmission controller, or when a new transmission controller has been installed and not calibrated.

Then:
If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (9), it indicates a problem with B6 Hydrostatic Pump Speed Sensor.

And last, which may be your steering problem:
If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (4), it indicates a problem with B5 Left and Right Steer Sensor.

Fourth digit:
If the fourth digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (1 or 4), a calibration error or circuit failure is indicated. Access main menu and select DIAG in transmission controller. Compare calibrated values to real time values! If values don't match RECALIBRATE.

I don't know how you do the recalibration, sorry. Still seems like you have a connection or water issue, unless a sensor got damaged from the pressure washing.

Hope you get it working.

fastfunco

thank you - if anyone can help with a service manual that sure would help me- I need to find the locations of said parts and know how to test them - then how to recalibrate- hopefully someone can help out - thanks again - and your certainly right -nothing worse than letting my little girl down!! I will be on this till its fixed and will post my findings --

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Not sure what JD wants for a Service Manual but they are less than $400 on ebay. I know that may sound like allot right now but a good manual can save thousands down the road in repairs and down time. I'm not sure if the newer dozers have to have Deere software to get into the computer or not. Anything with electronics works great....until it doesn't. Good luck I know downtime can be stressful.

fastfunco

tried all day to fix this problem - pulled every single plug - they were all dry- without knowing how to recalibrate this computer - its a waste of time - yes thank you for the info on the manual- I know this may sound hard to believe when I own a bunch of equipment and such- but I am flat broke and about to go under - cant afford 400 for the book - its do - or die time im afraid - --
there has got to be someone on this forum that either knows the procedure of knows someone with a 650 that might have the knowledge-- I have used all my resources an sure am hoping someone out there helps me out--

Tractorguy

Depending on how many hours are on this machine it may be a disadvantage to recalibrate, sometimes the pumps/motors may be so out of whack it opens a new can of worms....with that being said pull the cover off the TCU behind your left elbow, should be 6-7 7mm head screws. Key on engine off id scroll till you see codes and select that till it shows "END" hold select down on end and that will erase all codes and flash F300. Scroll back to "CAL" and I can't remember if you hold select down on CAL and start machine or start machine and then hold select on CAL. Try either of those that work and it should flash the software version and then it'll give you steps to follow on the TCU window. Should show Park at first and then if you lower park lock lever should go through all steps. DecH and DecL low is decel pedal high and low, then Rstr and Lstr are right steering and left steering before you go into counter rotate, Rctr and Lctr are going into counter rotate on each side, ThrH and ThrL are throttle high and low. DecB is decel brake going to the first stop of pedal. Up and Dn are transmission speed lever, For and Rev are forward and reverse... Once and if you complete all the sensor calibrations should go through a pump/motor section, it'll tell you to ThrH and leave it high and then you move joystick into forward and let it do its thing then into reverse and let it do its thing, then pumps are done should have you set trans speed somewhere and travel forward and reverse in low spd set trans spd higher and travel forward and reverse in high spd. Should be all done after that. When going through sensor calibrations be sure to move joystick, pedal, throttle level, slow and steady to stops, may take a couple tries of playing with it before it'll go through. Make sure low engine spd is 875-925 rpms and high speed shouldn't be over 2400 rpms before you start all this stuff otherwise it'll never work.

Cmark

Have you checked your battery voltage when the engine is running? On Cat machines, low voltage can cause all kinds of spurious error codes and I can't see Deere being much different. This would tie in with your symptoms if you got your alternator wet.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Thats a good point Cmark. I had a bunch of crazy codes coming up on one of my Dodges a few years back after some looking turned out one of the batteries was bad. It would start but then throw a few codes until the alternator got the voltage back up. It caused some ofd things too happen that I just knew couldn't be right.

Dickjr.

I have had good luck calling dealers and asking for tech support. These were CAT and Komatsu , I think Deere would be the same. Call up some dealers and ask for tech support , if that don't work call Deere straight out. I have had them email procedures to me before at no cost and generally it takes care of the problem. I have been in your position , wonder sometimes if I'm any better off now. Call these guys up , you will be surprised the knowledge some of the techs have to offer. Good luck.

mrfixit77845

I have a jd 650 h and dealing with a like problem you have 2 solenoids under the floor board one on each drive motor accessible at panel on back of the machine and speed senor on each drive motor also on fnr inside batt comp door at the bottom of your control stick you wil see sensors etc check those. if they pressure washed in that compartment they may have damaged a wire or connector you might disconnect battery for a bit to try and clear codes. have you selected eng diag at the computer it will give you a reading in mv at all stations and ohms just touch next to scroll thru it also you do not want to recalibrate if it shows certain codes if you google jd 650 trouble codes you will see a site on the first or sec page that will decipher your codes