• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hoover Dam Bypass pics

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
And here I thought that white ring was indicative of the level the water usually stood at, thus keeping the rock clean or unweathered by the elements.
If that is wrong, I stand corrected.
Anybody know for sure?
alan627b

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
RIP Pat Tillman!:usa

I'll second that!! I haven't heard much lately, but haven't looked either. I know a few years ago they had a crane topple over. The pour for just the one pillar was over $1millon. Its an amazing site to see thats for sure.

Trbo

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
:usa:usa I too will add my sympathies to the family of Cpl P Tillman,the naming of a bridge is poor recompense of their loss under the circumstances,a very sad situation.:usa:usa

Eddiebackblade

Those picture are simply breathtaking!!:thumbsup

I have visited the Dam about 8 years ago, but was completely unaware of this new crossing.
Always fancied another trip and this will definately be on the list.

I totally agree that a big capital spending project like that is the best way to showcase the incredible skills of any country and bring about pioneering techniques that benefit all.

I honestly couldn't see anything outstanding like that ever being achieved again here in the UK, the spirit and skills are there and so are the huge projects but standing in the way is the never ending cycle of 'pen pushers' and 'do gooders' (and possibly the fact UK plc is completely broke!)

To the men up there on that bridge all I can say is they must have 'Balls that Big they push em accross in a Wheelbarrow'!:salute:usa

Clawed Backster

Due to all of the regulatory garbage they have to put up with now, I wouldn't be surprised if the bridge cost more, and took longer to complete than the dam. Even taking inflation into effect.
I am talking about the time from serious proposal to completion.

DPete

Just back from the project, they are pouring the colums to support the deck. Also big road work on Hwy.93 South of the dam, adding 2 lanes in very rough country. Sorry no pics of the road work because there was nowhere to stop

Attachments

• IM000766.jpg
    IM000766.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,038
  • IM000772.jpg
    IM000772.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,035
  • IM000789.jpg
    IM000789.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,053

DPete

Also for those who have not seen them, the generators on the Nevada side powerhouse, there are 8 on the Nv. side and 9 on the Arizona side. Spillway and spillway tunnel entrance one on each side ( the red car on the left of the bottom pic will give you some scale ). There is also a lower pair of tunnels ( no pics) used to divert the river during dam construction

Attachments

• IM000775.jpg
    IM000775.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,024
  • IM000792.jpg
    IM000792.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,043
  • IM000794.jpg
    IM000794.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,035
Last edited:

EddieWalker

I never heard of this and enjoyed seeing the pictures. One thing that I never thought of, but noticed, was the porta potties. Obviously, you need a place to go when it's that time. I wonder if they have them at every location, or if they just take care of business where they are and anybody below is just out of luck.

Truly impressive.

Eddie

Wolf

just to think that they built that whole dam in the 1930s is amazing. its quite a feat, and if you look closely at it, the architecture is an art deco masterpiece too. kinda like golden gate bridge.

clansing1

Hoover Dam water levels

I was curious why the water levels at Hoover Dam were so low. Is this a safety precaution?

DPete

I was curious why the water levels at Hoover Dam were so low. Is this a safety precaution?
No, Just several poor winters. The high water mark is from the only time it went over the spillway I think in 83'. We need some good winters to fill it back up

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
Well this old buzzard is a flightless bird likes to have two feet on the ground,and that's the main reason I became a muck shifter "no working at heights".

Call me candyass but I could never work up there.My knees shake looking at the pictures.LOL.I have all the respect in the world for those tradesmen.
I watched the webcam while they were building the Penobscot Narrows bridge,we called it the "Bucksport bridge" from Verona island to Prospect really up in Maine and I marveled each day as it progressed to completion.One of the towers has an observatory at the top and I went up in the elevator one time when I was in the area.The top floor is 425' from the bottom,not sure if it is sea level or what but I practically froze when the elevator door opened,all I saw was glass and some grab rails and the lady attendent.....lol....AND the defibrillator hung on the wall there.
There were two floors above the elevator shaft.........yeh....I went up the stairs but I was hanging on!!It sure was nice to get back on the ground.Ron G

Bridge work was probably one of my favorite jobs. Pretty much every skill you have is involved at some point and the ride to work at the top is something that will wake you in the morning. The only bad thing is trying to secure stuff when the wind gets up, and thunderstorms... they tingle if they get real bad.

Personally if my knees were still in half decent shape I'd probably see if they were hiring.

If you take care of your fall protection there's nothing to worry about. Falling on some cable systems can be fun, of course I've always held to the feeling the only times a person TRULY knows they are alive is when you are in real fear for you life. Yep I'm an adrenaline junkie and I can't get rid of the need.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Due to all of the regulatory garbage they have to put up with now, I wouldn't be surprised if the bridge cost more, and took longer to complete than the dam. Even taking inflation into effect.
I am talking about the time from serious proposal to completion.

wikipedia had the dam cost at 736 million adjusted to 2008 dollars.

The design and construction budget remains unchanged at $240 million. The Colorado River Bridge construction portion of that budget is $114 million. The $240 million budget consists of $100 million in federal funds, $20 million each from the states of Arizona and Nevada, and $100 million in state bond funds. Of the approximate $130 million in bond funds ($100 million plus interest) advanced by the states of Arizona and Nevada, approximately $96.3 million has been repaid.

For those interested, here is the website.

http://www.hooverdambypass.org/

Merry Christmas.