• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hook Spanner

beamero

What hook spanners do y’all recommend for 4”-6” cylinder diameters? I’ve only had to use pin spanners in the past.

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
I have a set of William's spanners at work. They are still made in USA, some Williams stuff isn't like their chain wrenches. I'm happy with them the fit and finish is nice and they weren't super expensive. Some of the Williams stuff is pretty rough quality wise these days though I would buy the spanners again.

Old Doug

I have a set of William's spanners at work. They are still made in USA, some Williams stuff isn't like their chain wrenches. I'm happy with them the fit and finish is nice and they weren't super expensive. Some of the Williams stuff is pretty rough quality wise these days though I would buy the spanners again.
I have a newer set of williams wrenches they are very ruff and unfinished.

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
I have a newer set of williams wrenches they are very ruff and unfinished.

I have a set of the William's super combo standard wrenches, they are great quality and smooth with a great fit and finish made in USA. They are my go to wrenches in my tool bag that gets dragged all over this mine and used every day. I have a set of Williams metric stain finish wrenches, made in Taiwan, decent quality/ fit and finish though the box end is a little big. I have a set of William's standard angle wrenches, made in USA, the fit and finish is atrocious, if I didn't have working man's hands they would probably cut me the edges are so sharp, they don't feel good, and the quality is just garbage for $300 worth of wrenches.

Back to the subject their hook spanners are great quality for the money.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Martin sprocket makes good ones.

beamero

Thanks much guys. I ended up getting a Stahlwille 12910 with a 95-165mm range off of eBay for $40. I was looking at the OTC wrenches, and happened to stumble on the Stahlwille. Guess I'll find out if its a good one or not.

Old Doug

I have a few stahlwille wrenches they seem to be ok. I bought a set of pitsburgforge metric wrenches to put a box of just in case tools for my truck they have been in the shop in a cabinet i looked at them yesterday and they had started to rust.