• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Homemade sprocket liners for my Allis Chalmers HD9

JimInOz

Nice fix DieselDave.
I remember back in the 90s there were sprocket liners sold commercially.
Does anyone know if they still exist,& if they were worth the effort.?

Jim

hardtail

That is a good repair, in fact I had considered it on my TD18 and still have the pipe halves somewhere to prove it........a couple things didn't work to my advantage though........the rails were stretched to 125% and I think the sprocket would have had to grow substancially in diameter for it to work.......hey somebody got all their money out of that U/C just too bad it wasn't me........LOL

I think the liners are still available, pigeon products sticks in me hed for some reason :Banghead..........maybe I'll google abit.

I would think those will wear in quite nice and probably last awhile, after tacking the center up did you must have massaged the edges outward?????

I was even thinking of using weldable rebar as the tip as the edges get abit thick.........

dieseldave

Pigeon was the company that made the sprocket liners,they used to advertise in Rock and Dirt but I haven't seen them in awhile and couldn't find them on the web. I did tack the pipes in the center and then bash them to fit, more or less.

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
late replying but have been following along. looks good and how did you weld the inside??? when you moved the cat a head??? lots of moving and climbing about???

thansk
KoO
Published Author

earthmoverv

Occupation
project manager main bid supervisor safty regulato
bringing back memories

Used to do the opposite to our first machene a old smoky fiat allis 7-gb . I whould weld round stock pieces to the top of the sprocket tooth . The problem was the sprockett whoudnt catch the chain . My innovative welding job worked every time . Whoud wear out in about three months or so. but that whoud be using it every day I wasnt working on the old girl. Now I painted her bronze and its 40 feet in the air as a part of our company sighn. Thanks for the trip back in time about 30 years.

Oldiron

Nice repair And as to hardening the inserts the mild steel pipe doesn't have enough carbon in it to make any difference an if it did you would pull it out when you welded it on:Banghead

dieseldave

Nice repair And as to hardening the inserts the mild steel pipe doesn't have enough carbon in it to make any difference an if it did you would pull it out when you welded it on:Banghead

I knew there was a reason I didn't do it, I just didn't know what it was until you told me:drinkup

pannycj

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
What size tubing/pipe did you use? I'm looking to do a similar repair on my hd9 as well.

truklodyte

Occupation
equipment opp
Think about it! Its ingenous .Brings back memories of making pillar bearings out of Hornbeam wood in Massachuettes.Soak them in oil an use them.

Hd-11 allis

Occupation
small engine mechanic and farm equipment
Hey diesel dave what size pipe did you use to recap those sprockets. I have a HD-11 that is welled used but still runs good and works good but the sprocket on the left side is running a little thin in its teeth, and i think I might try what you did since i dont run that unit very much. Also did you weld the backside of the sprocket as well

dieseldave

Hey diesel dave what size pipe did you use to recap those sprockets. I have a HD-11 that is welled used but still runs good and works good but the sprocket on the left side is running a little thin in its teeth, and i think I might try what you did since i dont run that unit very much. Also did you weld the backside of the sprocket as well

Look 2 posts up LOL :pointlaugh I welded both sides.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
I used to get sprocket liners from Pigeon from R&D but they were bought out. I used them on trencher sprockets as the drive sprocket on the trencher the outfit had had bee nsmoked into place. I used to weld for an old man that had some dinosaur D8's that ran D9 sprockets and idlers and rails to up the speed for pulling pans. Every 3 months cap the rollers sprockets and build up the idlers. We even built up the bushings.

On case hardening the carbon steel I think when the steel is red hot and quenched the oil ads carbon to case harden. In college machine shop we had to learn how to harden and Caseharden mild steel. We have also added Carbon powder and sealed it in the thick foil with a wad of paper to burn up the oxygen and add carbon.

Forestgnome

Maybe this will help.

Cliff Notes: It says before you weld your liners in if you heat them up to 1400 to 1500 degrees then quench them in oil helps to harden them. Thought you might find it intresting.

http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35664&hl=

BTW, It's good to see a little Old School still going on in the World.:D

Unfortunately it's not likely there's enough carbon in that pipe to harden. Don't know what material they used for the sprockets, but I wouldn't expect the "tube" repair to last too long. Should be okay on a limited-use machine though. I like the innovation.

Forestgnome

On case hardening the carbon steel I think when the steel is red hot and quenched the oil ads carbon to case harden. In college machine shop we had to learn how to harden and Caseharden mild steel. We have also added Carbon powder and sealed it in the thick foil with a wad of paper to burn up the oxygen and add carbon.
Quenching oil won't add any enough carbon to the steel to harden it. Those pipes are probably very low carbon content, and won't be hardened unless case hardened. Hardest part will be the weld.

bwpigeon

i used to get sprocket liners from pigeon from r&d but they were bought out. I used them on trencher sprockets as the drive sprocket on the trencher the outfit had had bee nsmoked into place. I used to weld for an old man that had some dinosaur d8's that ran d9 sprockets and idlers and rails to up the speed for pulling pans. Every 3 months cap the rollers sprockets and build up the idlers. We even built up the bushings.

On case hardening the carbon steel i think when the steel is red hot and quenched the oil ads carbon to case harden. In college machine shop we had to learn how to harden and caseharden mild steel. We have also added carbon powder and sealed it in the thick foil with a wad of paper to burn up the oxygen and add carbon.

for your information, pigeon products is still in business, and has not been bought out!!
Call 701-463-2959 and leave a message on the recorder if i am not there. Bruce