• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Homemade service truck

Coondog

Hello guys- I have had a thought I have been kicking around for awhile. After reading through several of the threads here for the last year or so I figured you guys/gals would have som interesting input.

I have a very decent service truck I own and use everyday, it's paid off, tools are paid off and I'm just working. But as discussed in Tom V's thread and elsewhere, there is never enough room. Current truck is S/A with 6k tele. crane. 200 amp welder, 120 psi@40 cfm comp. International 4900. I mainly work a steep hillside, nice wide haul roads, 35 mph speed limits. I go up and down all day long, elevation ranging from 4600 to a mile.

Hypothetically and logically, I dream of a very long t/a service truck with a lot more room availability. How would you do this as cheap as possible? Not caring about looks necessarily, but functionality. All of the aforementioned amenities would be needed of course, but maybe a decent spin on them. There is no hurry or time frame, and old is not really a problem.

Just messing around with the idea I have been able to locate some local trucks for sale, one example is a 1965 kw 956 I believe it was(credentials are almost 50 years old). Runs, drives, small easy to access cab for easy ins and outs, stout doors, but in somewhat sad conditions as in windows don't roll up and down. Hard to find parts for I think. And a duplex 4+4, ear as I can tell and not aware of such. Cheap of course. Another example is an old ( year?) diamond rio. Cheap but have not been able to preview yet. Other items I have found are some used bucket truck utility beds that are unbelievably cheap. Probably non certifiable anymore maybe. Claimed to e in working condition. Same place has an array of used cranes and booms. I am kind of liking a boom idea. Although I am not sure that a front mount or rear mount would be satisfying. Or another idea is build it up as a flatbed using a system of boxes such as weathergaurd or knaack. The chances of getting everything exactly like you like it being pretty high this way. Ideas or shoot downs?

Other items I would like to incorporate would be everything you can think of. Small plasma cutter for real fine bumper/workbench cutting, hydraulic press, petrogen torch, ace torch, positive pressure fluid tanks(small amounts pressurized by truck air with regulators of course, cold morning 220 gear oil don't run out to well), bolt bins, gravity flow water for hand washing and cooling down hot metal, plus anything else you can think of.

Remember, hypothetical but logical, and achievable, this thread is for fun so imagine what would work best, and also remember we don't care what anybody else thinks about how it looks. Another question, would running super singles ( or extra wide, trucker terminology somewhat rusty) be detrimental or does anybody have an opinion or experience here. Thanks guys/gals.

Coondog

Another idea I forgot to throw in, it only suits my current situation, is a small offload able rig such as a four wheeler or dirt bike. I run into a lot of situations where I am working on something and someone needs me elsewhere. It seems coincidental, but 17 out of 32 times(my favorite drill bit size) I am forced to clean up all my stuff, load back up and take the whole rig to new destination just to reset a breaker or answer a question. This would also be helpful for lunch time, as we all meet onsite at the someplace everyday. Let us also pretend we are never going to be on the state highways or interstates. Thank you.

02Dmax

I've had the same thought only I wanted an actual service body on a twin screw, and I can't really justify it when I can hook onto my enclosed trailer ($10k) and have an indoor workshop and more combined storage than a twin screw could ever have. There's a thread on here where a guy talked about putting everything in shipping container on a boom truck and just pick it on and off, sounds like a pain if you move alot but still a good idea.

Stay away from super singles - their traction off road just sucks, and if one goes down, you go down. And if you're off road much you'll have tires go down as I'm sure you know.

As far as off-road vehicle - I have a Polaris Ranger Crew setup for the nasty places. I love it. can set my welder and compressor right in the back and away I go.

mitch504

I definitely agree about staying away from the super singles, except they help a lot on the front.

If I were you, I'd look for a retired digger-derrick, a pole installing truck. You get a tandem truck, more extendible hydraulic boom than most any service truck crane, and a service bed. Some are even 6x6.

I looked at the flatbed w/ add-on boxes, but buying the boxes runs into money real quick.

Dualie

a shipping container on a boom truck is a cool idea but impractical. you would need a 20 ton+ boom truck to pick a loaded sea can even at a super short radius right up next to the truck. and most likely a 40 ton if you wanted to set it off the truck loaded.

alco

What about a hooklift or roll off truck with a sea can for the shop? Pull in, drop it off, and now you have an enclosed workshop, that's at ground level, and easy to move around. A lot of fire departments are going this route for multiple use trucks.

No idea what a used hooklift is worth though, but it was a thought none the less.

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
I have been thinking about getting a Honda Ruckus or Yamaha TW200 for those times I end up at a different place than I started;)

Coondog

The mobile shipping container shop is a cool idea. Mitch, I did find a pole installing rig, no truck, just bed and boom. Decent priced, looks rough, but claims to be in working condition. I don't know if I can do without the regular telescopic crane though. There is a lot of worth in a hook that moves straight up and down.

Looked at the locally owned diamond Reo truck. Pretty rough condition but run and drives nice, got a 12 cylinder engine, buzzin dozen as they call it, butbdoor latches windows blah blah not good and parts unavailable, stopped production in early 90's. Sounds very nice due to cylinders firing so often.

There is a thread hatch equip posted his truck on, I believe was his name. Very nice setup, like the ingenuity of running the compressor with the welder. And also like the small enclosed cab in the front of the bed.

As far as off loadable rig, I pictured it directly behind the cab, loaded sideways, with ramps on either side. Sometimes you just need to run to the supply shack down the hill for a bolt. At least in my situation.

Dualie

if your going to pass on the reo hows about sharring the contact info? i know some people that would be all over that V12 reo!

Pipelinemech

A mechanic that worked for me on the pipeline had a deck between the cab and bed for his fourwheeler. drop the ramps throw on his go bag of tools and he was off like a shot. very handy when you couldnt get a service truck close to the machine. i been tossin around the idea of a tandem myself. two things i can tell ya bout a service truck. you never have enough room and theres always something to change or improve.

Coondog

Dualie, sorry already got a friend going after it. Something new he has discovered is that it actually belongs to the county, the local public, it's gonna have to go to auction if and when they ever have one.

Pipeline, that sounds to be exactly what I'm talking about. Sounds like he can just take off if he's tied up and beds to make quick run somewhere on site.

Bidding on an 82 model boom truck tomorrow. We shall see how it goes. She's pretty long so that should make for a lot of space.