• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Homemade Pen Oil Or What Do You Use?

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
In the dozer forum i mentioned using 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone for pen oil, I use it and nothing else. What are you all's favorite pen oils?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Your mix seems to be the most popular on freeing stuck things on the Antique Cat site also. Good stuff although shelf life after mixing seems short. Easy to mix as needed though.

Delmer

Penetrating oil. The homemade mix is very popular "online", supposedly works better than any of the common ones, PB blaster, wd40, etc.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
Where I worked at before we used Oil Eater in quart spray bottles like crazy and I saved several from the trash to put my pen oil in and it didn't hurt the plastic or evaporate noticeably. I Used it there because it was easily made right there. I used brake clean which was almost all acetone and ATF in those bottles and had a hard time keeping the other mechanics hands off of it. Shop foreman fussed because there was no msds!

Old Doug

I have read about several home test of pen oils and PB comes in dead last. I need to try the acetone and ATF. The best thing i ever used was a pennzoil spray i got a can when they were closeing it out. I had a truck with a hard to work choke cable i had sprayed it with every thing and it was about unuseable. One day i sprayed it with the pennzoil spray i pushed it in and when i pulled it back out i thought it had broken it was that free.

Deey

The best penetrating oil that I've found is Free All. When I worked at the GM dealer we used to get penetrating oil from the Nissan store it was Nissan branded penetrating spray it also worked very good but that was 15 years ago.

norite

I like the acetone/atf mix, works OK and the price is right. The only problem is if you put it in a vented container (typical oil can) the acetone seems to evaporate out pdq. I'm going to try it in a plastic pump/spray bottle to see if that works better.

dixon700

Occupation
heavy truck mechanic
The acetone and atf seems to work quite well.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I used to swear by Kroil and a pen oil by Lubrication Engineers, name? I don't recall. But for cheap,good,and fast the atf and acetone (brakleen) is my favorite. This might be the only exception to the 2 out of 3 rule, good, fast or cheap pick any two!