• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Home built small crushing plant

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
Here's a short video of me on the first paid job I did with the small crushing plant I built.
YouTube - Crushing and hammering some concrete slabs
Was still ironing out some bugs and it was the first time I used the hydraulic hammer. (I checked the hammer after this job and found it was out of nitrogen.)
Still I got paid and worked like a slave on this job. When I quoted on it, the slabs had been torn up and put in a pile with a fair bit of dirt on them. What I could see was about 6" thick but at the bottom of the pile some were up to 10" thick:Banghead
The conveyor is portable, electrically powered and worked well when it was set up to load my truck. The crushed material I sold as road base to a friend who had a rural property.

AusDave

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's some nice work AusDave. ;)

Hey Grandpa, good thing he's in Australia or you'd have some competition. :D

alco

That's a really slick looking setup you have there Dave! I'd love to see some more videos of it, keep up the good work.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Nice setup, that's almost free road crush for you.

joispoi

What's the production rate on that? How many cubic meters per hour if you feed it all it can handle?

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
Crusher production

What's the production rate on that? How many cubic meters per hour if you feed it all it can handle?

Hi Joispoi.

It depends on the feed material and the output size. If you can keep the crusher constantly fed and the output size is approx. 25mm/1" you could probably get around 8 to 10 tonnes per hour. I suppose that would be about 4-5 cubic metres per hour depending on the weight of the material.

If you were crushing to 50mm/2" you would more than double production. I usually crush concrete and bricks which due to the jagged shape and softness can be a bit slow at times as it catches more in the jaws. If you have more rounded river stone for example it would feed a lot faster and production would be higher.

The original concept was a small crusher that could fit into urban areas to deal with old concrete and bricks and recycle a waste material that is expensive to take to the dump. However so far most of my work has been commercial concrete waste.

AusDave

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
Photos of recent job

Here's some photos of a recent job crushing lumpy concrete waste.

Here's the pile and site before I started. It was about 40-50 tonnes of broken concrete which was left over from a commercial job. It was trucked to this site owned by another local operator for crushing.
brummy_before_start_IMG_0016.jpg

Here's the job just after I started.
brummy_started_IMG_6793.jpg

Finally finished. Got some rain during this job and I had to go down a slope of mud to get to the last of the concrete which was up against a pile of soil. Got bogged occasionally but with the backhoe it's easy to push or pull myself out.
brummy_finish_IMG_0035.jpg

AusDave

Last edited:

gr79

Interesting work.
Nice sounds.

About the crusher:
Geez, fab a platform (with ladder) to stand on for safety's sake.
Put fence guards around those rotating wheels and belts.
Any emergency shutoffs?
This is 2010, not 1910. One bad slip and the party's over.

Pulling/pushing them off a tray would be better?
Small upright ground level to feed chute lift type conveyor?
Manually lifting tons of chunks to feed igor would wear lazy me out in no time.

What? No workstation umbrella?

Last edited:

joispoi

That's not bad for a machine for a machine that size. I have to agree with gr. That unit definitely needs some guards for the moving parts, especially given the fact that you're spending so much time up close and you're using it in populated areas.

A feeder conveyor with a remote control coupled with a vibrating hopper would make feeding it less of a hands on operation. Idealy, the feeder conveyor would have a hopper wide enough for you to load with your backhoe. It might need an agitator or some kind of spinny thing to unlock jammed unprocessed material.

A 2-3 yard discharge conveyor with a swivel would the icing on the cake.

I'm interested in seeing more pics as your operation develops. :drinkup

xcv8tr7

Occupation
EXCAVATOR
I'm with gr79. I think you've done a great job building this- real talent. But I lost count of the safety issues.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
I would agree some guarding would go a long way. Any type of feeder would be a benefit. Maybe a mildly angled sliding table with some sort of feed control. Dig a ramped pit under your discharge with the loader. That way you dont have to reset all the time.

Andrew_D

Old thread, but I haven't seen this one before.

I couldn't see the video. Google/YouTube tells me it is "private". I am logged in to Google/YouTube though. Any ideas?

Andrew