• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Holley Carb Wizards?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I am the owner of a Holley carb on a 1966 IH medium duty and it has defeated several of us in getting it to work right. It also has some casting issues. I am about to ship it off to a guy in NJ who does this for a living but he is 3 weeks out and I wondered if all of you know of anybody closer or faster.

Thanks.

walkerv

More then likey rebuilding a vintage 1966 holley wont be worth it I personnally would buy a new manual choke carb or upgrade to a newer style electric choke carb, call holley direct for proper sizing and application and they should be able to help you out finding what one you need. Casting issues on your carb dont sound good but not sure what that means either, what I have found on older holley's is all the throttle shafts get worn and suck air and or to many people have had there hands in them and have damaged parts and or over tightned stuff thus distorting the aluminium thus cuasing even more leaks that a gasket wont cure . :my2c
are you sure you dont have an engine problem cuasing poor vacumn or is it a different carb someone threw on there and its not jetted correctly for your application

Last edited:

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Well, what doesn't work right? Old carbs sometimes wear the throttle bushing and give you a big vac leak and sticky throttle, I've fixed a couple with new bronze shaft bushings and one with jb weld after coating the shaft with silicone grease, pour a new plastic bearing in place :) there is a process, check your ignition timing and valve lash first, then set the carb to its base settings, go from there. Valves and wrong timing will mimic lots of carb issues.

lantraxco

Fast_st, that's funny, you reminded me that my old auto shop instructor from high school always told us that most carburetor problems could be found in the ignition system! Probably not in this case, but it was a good memory.

I'm a fan of the Edelbrock (Carter) myself, but then I'm a mopar man so it kinda figures.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
It is overflowing into the throat and running rich, both bowls are leaking at the fuel pressure inlets, and I don't know what all else. I had it rebuilt with the correct kit and the floats replaced locally.

But I don't have time for troubleshooting all the various things mentioned here. A lot of these would be best done with a test bench also. But the main thing is paying customers keep calling me to do the things I really am good at and rebuilding a 4 barrel Holley, while I am surely capable of it in principle, is not a good use of my time any more.

Also I happen to know remember once upon a time the engine ran pretty good and nothing has been messed with.

Also the carb is a governor model and all the linkages are in different places than pictures I have seen of replacements so I still figure that repairing this one will be the simplest.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
well, the float needle can be adjusted a bit to lower the fuel level, Oh, wait, this is on a truck? Right, there could be a level plug and the float level can be adjusted externally. Have any pictures of the carb? It might have some trash that's holding the float open as well. Time to work a trade and have someone else fix the carb and you do what you're good at.

walkerv

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291790663769?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
does it look like this listing it shows the numbers on the carb in large view . this maybe a low cost fast option , slap it on tune it a little and go but im not sure if this is the same carb for your application .. definatly sounds like your carb needs some more adjusting im not sure on the fuel leak from the fuel inlets though I have not worked on your exact style carb before but some similar from the late 70's

hetkind

Many of the holley carbs are modular...do you have a model number? on the 2300, 4150 and 4160 series, plus probably others, the fuel inlet and floats are part of the float bowl. I had to replace a bad float bowl assembly due to corrosion from ethanol contaminated fuel.

Howard

Old Doug

Save yours self and every one else and replace that Holley with some thing else. I am 50 and have been working on gas trucks for 40+ years. Dad bought and sold alot of IH trucks they never ran as smoth as other trucks until i started replaceing the carbs. I have a buddy that work at a GM dealer In the 70s that sold alot of trucks. The first thing they did before selling a new one was to replace the holley with a carter. Holleys are great for raceing you can change jets and stuff easy but they hate dirt dust and old gas. Replaceing it will be cheaper to.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I remember a Ford 534 I was working on, a basket case. After figuring out the plug wires and beating the choke into submission I got into the cab and bumped the starter just to check and the tach started wiggling around 500. I thought that was strange until I realized the ole 534 had started and was idling on its own, just like that.

I don't remember what kind of carburetor it had but it had been sitting for years and it still did that.

If I could find something like that it would be great. But I am afraid of how much trouble that a conversion could turn into as well. I wouldn't know where to start.

Reactions: DB2

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
If you had said Quadrapuke I might have been able to help.....

td25c

It is overflowing into the throat and running rich, both bowls are leaking at the fuel pressure inlets, and I don't know what all else. I had it rebuilt with the correct kit and the floats replaced locally.

The fuel level is to high , this has to be an adjustment issue , or needle & seat / float bad .

On fuel line leak don't be shy about experimenting with different size O rings and a little dab of silicone sealant . The fuel line & carb inlet will have a little corrosion after that many years .

Don't give up on it yet .

Attachments

• 100_3193[1].jpg
    100_3193[1].jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 193

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
td25c said:
The fuel level is to high , this has to be an adjustment issue , or needle & seat / float bad .

On fuel line leak don't be shy about experimenting with different size O rings and a little dab of silicone sealant . The fuel line & carb inlet will have a little corrosion after that many years .

Don't give up on it yet .

And just up and left of the arrow on the carb is the fuel level adjustment, loosen screw, turn nut clockwise to lower the level. If you have the same carb.