• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hoist problem????

sbax76

Need some help with a scissor hoist, I bought a new Hino 18,000 GVW and had a custom body built that I've been unhappy with since I took delivery. The body is perfect, the hoist/mounting arrangement is the problem. I have had a few bodies built by this company (never a scissor) and they are always top notch, they purchase hoists from an outside source. The dump angle is about 53 deg. When the bed is fully raised, the majority of the weight is obviously on the rear hinge, the scissor hoist bangs any time the truck is moved with the bed fully raised. When the bed is partialy raised no problems. The body builder replaced the scissor unit once already, 1 3/4" pins through a 2" cylinder hole. I just got the truck back and the pins seem to be tighter. The body builder put wedges on the hitch plate under the rear hinge that barely come into contact when the body is fully raised. I was told that it would keep the hoist from over extending? But the body still has play(up and down) when fully raised. Not sure if the dump angle is too much, I have never had this problem on any other scissor hoist though??? The truck has only 4000 miles on it so trying straighten this out before it keeps taking a beating. Any ideas on reducing the dump angle or putting a small telescopic under body hoist on it. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks Steve

OneWelder

To reduce angle put a light cable that pulls pump out of gear or puts valve into hold position - when body is raises to height you want
Run cable in a pipe till almost to the rear,then up to bottom of body

If the system is sloppy it is going to bANG

sbax76

That could work, I had that setup on a larger truck i used to have. It just seems like the scissor hoist pins are very loose for being brand new, not sure how tight the pins should be. Seems like the body wants to keep going over and the hoist wants to come apart. Is there any standard for the hoist position, how far it is from the rear hinge? When loaded it strugles a little to get the body off the frame, then has a steep angle. Would it be better to move the hoist further foward? Would a telescopic hoist have have less play, since it would have fewer parts. I know it's a dump truck, just seems too new and to expensive to be so loose. I would rather straighten this out now and idiot proof it before I put it in an employee 's hands.

OneWelder

Your best source of clearance for pins would be the original Manufacturer's drawing
I am not that technical- my guess would be two to five thousands- on pin clearance
It is hard to tell from your posts just what is going on - do you have two problems ?
Post some pictures and more info.
A 1 3/4 pin in a two inch hole is wrong-- careless or somebody did not have the parts to do job right , and wanted it out the door

sbax76

I think because the angle is so steep and that pins aren't the tightest it is compounding it. I could put the cable in the keep it at a lower angle, still have play in the scissor, but won't notice it that must. It will have more weight on the hoist with the body at a lower angle then when it is standing straight up, won't bounce. Still have the fact that the body doesn't like to lift off the frame that easy when loaded. Possibly move foward or change hoist all together, I know you get a higher cap. and a lower dump angle the further the hoist is to the front of the body. Not trying to over load the truck, just trying to kill two birds with one stone. will get some pics.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
hoist

Need some help with a scissor hoist, I bought a new Hino 18,000 GVW and had a custom body built that I've been unhappy with since I took delivery. The body is perfect, the hoist/mounting arrangement is the problem. I have had a few bodies built by this company (never a scissor) and they are always top notch, they purchase hoists from an outside source. The dump angle is about 53 deg. When the bed is fully raised, the majority of the weight is obviously on the rear hinge, the scissor hoist bangs any time the truck is moved with the bed fully raised. When the bed is partialy raised no problems. The body builder replaced the scissor unit once already, 1 3/4" pins through a 2" cylinder hole. I just got the truck back and the pins seem to be tighter. The body builder put wedges on the hitch plate under the rear hinge that barely come into contact when the body is fully raised. I was told that it would keep the hoist from over extending? But the body still has play(up and down) when fully raised. Not sure if the dump angle is too much, I have never had this problem on any other scissor hoist though??? The truck has only 4000 miles on it so trying straighten this out before it keeps taking a beating. Any ideas on reducing the dump angle or putting a small telescopic under body hoist on it. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks Steve

Am I reading this correct "1 3/4 pin in a 2" hole" ???? Im not a structural engineer, but I think my school of hard knocks, tells me that a big NONO
I have never liked scissor lifts, in todays world, we tend to over load everything and they dont hold up to the extra stress. I like the telescopic single cylinder system. What kind of hydraulic PTO do you have? Some of these smaller units use a electric driven self contained unit, you cant install a cutout cable on these. Is the body loaded when you say its slow to raise? Most bodies of any kind takes a few moments to start raising, this is because it takes a moment for the fluid to get to the cylinder and start raising it. Now if its taking way too long, you either have it overloaded at the front, the scissors are located in the wrong position, etc.
Take some measurements of where everything is located and call different body manufactures and see what they say. You can Google dump truck bodies (Ox Bodies, Godwin, etc)
Send us some pictures

td25c

Send us a picture if you can sbax76.It kinda sounds like the hoist is mounted to far back on the truck frame if it is dumping the bed that steep.And it sounds like you got some slop in the pins.Dose your hoist have "power down" to pull the bed back down after it go's overcenter.A company called "Harsh" made a scisser hoist with power down to pull the bed back down if it went overcenter.

truckboy

Banned
You have probably swollen the internal seals. Before giving up try removing the oil fill plug and manually pushing down the piston. By now you know why you should only use hydraulic jack oil. Also be aware that the boom arm is usually adjustable the shorter it is the more lifting force there will be.