• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi zx160lc

Hitachi zx260 no start

• any

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • help please

• help

• Total voters

Knuckleduster

I work on UK inland waterways as a volunteer. We have an abundance of plant which I'm always running around and fixing. Our zx160 has been a little tempremental lately shitting down intermittently while we were piling the canal bank. Leave for a while and she would start. Now she has shut down as refuses to start. Only thing found so far is cable running fro mc motor to injector pump is frayed but still operates. Is there a removable undertray under engine to get at the filters. I suspect that it may just be a clogged fuel filter. Haven't had any time lately to do any maintenance due to sorting out our 3 Dredger/crane boats. Any help would be appreciated. I haven't had the time to crawl around this machine and find all the ins and outs as she always being used. Access to engine is poor on this machine from either side covers or top. Starter motor was a pig to replace as I don't have long arms like a gorilla and had to suspend it via a rope from top and bolt it in from underneath. Any one with experience of this machine would be appreciated. I have wshop manual but section 11 fault finding when engine won't start is missing--best wishes Gerry

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Gerry
I suggest you check out the engine manual for that machine.
Kind regards
Uffex

Knuckleduster

Hi Uffex, have been through the 700 plus page manual, it doesn't tell me anything about gaining access to the underside of engine where I suspect filters are. I seem to recollect that there is some form of access panel there as there was a fitter on site changing filters etc.when we first got the digger. Trouble is he has no gone to the great fitters rest ie he has past on. The digger is sitting on a bund with starbour track sitting in water and port track on mot 1 rough gravel and bucket down so fairly safe. Going back Tuesday next week armed to teeth and get a decent board to lie on and take a look at what's under the engine bay. Our boat based excavators are far easier to get at except for fuel lines which I'm in middle of changing to comply with latest requirements(fireproof to 30mins)best wishes Gerry

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Gerry
Attached refers to dash 6 not sure if it is your machine. I am pretty sure you can remove a plate on the underside of the engine.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• Zx160-OilChange.pdf
    129.3 KB · Views: 4

Knuckleduster

Hi all, just spoken with a diesel mechanic who knows the Hitachi machines inside out. This is a common fault and it's due to tiny filters inside the banjo unions on the fuel lines on filters and injection pump. Most don't know they are there and so never get looked at. He thinks they have never been seen to since machine new. Not mentioned in manuals either
Meeting him Tues next to take him to machine and between us should get her up and running. Will update after his visit
As a charity it looks as though no charge either
Thanks all will let you know

skyking1

My old johnny 120 has all sorts of plates to take off.
Hat's off to you for working on the waterways. It was a grand thing to get them going again, we have barely started taking narrow boat trips but we love it.
last time we were over we did a day rental on the Shropshire Union Canal out of Nantwich, and cruised by a bunch of the trust work boats at Calvely? I think.

Knuckleduster

Got volunteered by wife to attend to do some pointing as I have extensive listed building experience. Society saw my work and got their claws in. Now a trustee and spent next 3 years building an accomodation road bridge as construction manager. Bridge was super over engineered. Designed for 45ton capacity achieved 140 ton plus with heavier steels etc. Signed off by Canal and River Trust and opened up late 2020 for use by the farmer. Then we could get down to serious canal restoration. Hard work,great crew of leg pullers.Due to long COVID now work on the plant. 3 crane boats/dredgers,couple of excavators etc keep me busy. Take a look on net and you tube for Buckingham Canal Society, it'll show what we do--,Gerry

Steve Austin

Pictures of fuel line banjo bolt that has washable screen which is most likely clogged up restricting fuel delivery.

Attachments

• IMG_2062.jpeg
    IMG_2062.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2061.jpeg
    IMG_2061.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7