• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi Zaxis fuel tank problems

excavator

Has anyone else had problems with the early model Hitachi Zaxis fuel tanks? They appear to have been coated with a rust inhibitor and that starts to come loose? I've had a couple of customers with this problem, the last one drained the tank, vacuumed it out clean and a couple weeks later the pickup tube is plugging up again. When they pull the line of the bottom it's plugged solid. There's a 90degree fitting and a shutoff valve and I'm thinking that's what's plugging up. Is there a screen on the pickup tube? The machine is a couple hours away, on the side of a mountain so I've not had an opportunity to take a look at it.

garyw

Occupation
Plant Engineer
Thee's no screen on the tube. I've had a few issues with dirt/debris in the tank but once I've cleaned them out there's no issues afterwards. Are you sure he managed to get all of the debris out? The zaxis range up to dash 3 had no removable plate on the tank but the dash 5's have. Makes life a lot easier.