• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi uh10-2/122

roadrunner81

Occupation
Managing member KSR Excavating, LLC
Hi guys, The list is getting shorter. I have an electrical problem in the charging circuit and looking for some advice. My charge light on dash seems to be off when engine is off/key on, add to that the lights on dash stay on when key off and when running the charge light is on but very dim. Previous owner put a manual battery disconnect on instead of going through the factory shut off. My thought was that I may have a bad diode but not knowing the location of the diode I though I'd post to see if someone might have a good starting point. The batteries do seem to charge although I've not tested for voltage but it always seems to start unless I've ran the radio all day turning wrench.

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
hi there, sounds like a diode issue alright pull off the alternator and get it checked

KenAl

Yes it sounds like a diode in the alternator is leaking. When this happens the charge light will be off when the key is on and the engine off. This will also keep the OEM night switch (Battery Relay) on and kill the battery. This is most likely why the previous owner changed the night switch. If you get the alternator tested you will have to test the diodes. A general run and test for voltage output will be good.