• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi EX60 track motor leak?

Logan

Occupation
Logger excavator operator and dad.
Hi folks hopefully somebody can give me some advice here (please). I changed the gear oil in my EX60-1 "track motors" 150 hours ago and noticed one was overfull. I have checked it regularly (every 40 to 50 hours) and now its got way too much in there again. It's not pressurised or anything, I'm checking it to avoid that. I have released most of the surplus oil into a container and noticed slight traces of fine metal present in the oil flow (machine had just done a 100m walk up a hill to the truck). What options do I have here? Any ideas? Thanks in advance for this and all the really interesting stuff posted on these forums.

rgl726

replace the seal of the planetary. you have an internal leak.
traveldevice.jpg

Last edited:

KenAl

Some people group the Hitachi EX60 with the bigger Hitachi as far as diagnostics on the exact problem you have. The EX60 has a travel motor with an External Brake piston and frictions. What I mean by that is the brake is not integral to the motor. You take off the motor and inside the cavity of the final drive is the brake piston and frictions. Now saying that, the most common problem I have found is the brake piston seals go. This will allow hydraulic oil into the final drive. You will want to change both sides as the wear should be similar. Item 39 is the piston and 40 and 41 are the seals. If you take off the motor be sure to take the long bolts out and not the short ones as the short ones keep the motor together.
TP58834________UN11NOV97.gif

Logan

Occupation
Thanks guys, that's good to know, will start pricing up the parts. Can I ask what the slight traces of metal filings might be? Or is it a typical wear thing. I ran a Honda quad for a few thousand hours on a pest control contract and always had metal filings in the diff (worse than whats in my track motor) and it kept going, I just changed it every 100 hours as by then it was looking like mercury! Just wondered if filings in the EX60 oil was typical or if I needed to look deeper into that as well.

Logan

Occupation
PS the "filings" size would be like a very fine dust. the flow of oil from the plug was maybe an inch wide, and the fine metal dust content would have been
about a 10th of an inch. Would an oil analysis be worth doing? Thanks.

KenAl

Hard to tell by description. You can take the final drive apart till you get to the nut very easily to inspect it if you want. I have taken out many travel motors and at the low point of the cavity sits a pile of metal particles and have just cleaned it out and not worried about it. Some oil samples need a baseline history to see a rise in certain metals/chemicals etc to raise a flag. So for ease of mind, take it apart and have a look. Don't forget the other side it should have very similar wear.

justridinby

Occupation
Earthmoving contractor
Hi everyone
I was also looking for advice on final drive problems on my Hitachi ex35 u , I knew i had some issues when i drained the planetary drive on the right hand side and found just sludge and a leak behind the sprocket , well today it finally just collaped half way through an excavation . What i need to know is if i can just dismantle the mechanical side of the drive which house the planetary gears or do i have to dissasemble the entire drive motor hydraulics and all ?

KenAl

justridinby EX27u

You can take the gear section apart to the hub that bolts to the side frame. The motor is integral to the hub.

Attachments

• Preview of “EX27u, 35u (North America).pdf”.pdf
    90.7 KB · Views: 855

justridinby

Occupation
Earthmoving contractor
Thanks KenAl did manage to dissasemble most of the planetary side after much cursing and stress , and yes your right one of the shafts that will need replacing needs be be dissasembled from within the motor body , really appreciate the diagram you supplied , much easier to understand than the one the guys from hitachi sent me .* note to anyone esle attempting this * If someone has messed with the procedure prior , it can make removing the wire that retains the outer face plate of the planetaries a absolute nightmare !!!!!!!!!!!

ron&taz

Occupation
run a one man container yard for kiwirail
ex60

Hi thanks for the info as that leak is what i have just got on my ex60

1oldman

Could you please post the legend list for the Ex60 exploded view you posted on 6-9-2011 mine just started leaking and have to replace the seals in it. Thank you from a newbie member 1oldman

bzman

Gear side for UHO33

Does anyone have an parts list/exploded view for gear side of old Hitachi UHO33?

Logan

Occupation
Does anyone have an parts list/exploded view for gear side of old Hitachi UHO33?

Welcome to HEF dude! There are some really knowledgeable guys on here and generous with it too. If you explain a bit about what is going on they can most likely nail down which part you need as well as supply a page of parts book. Also helps to bump it up the page list this time of night so the folks on the other side of the pond can see it at the right time. Hope they're all back from holiday. Good luck.

carlosrd

Hi all, great info by all! I have the same problem with my zx 35u, manged with difficulty to remove the stopper ring/wire but cannot remov the cover plate, I dont want to crack it with to much force, is there a special way to remove it? Please help, many thanks in advance.
Hi everyone
I was also looking for advice on final drive problems on my Hitachi ex35 u , I knew i had some issues when i drained the planetary drive on the right hand side and found just sludge and a leak behind the sprocket , well today it finally just collaped half way through an excavation . What i need to know is if i can just dismantle the mechanical side of the drive which house the planetary gears or do i have to dissasemble the entire drive motor hydraulics and all ?

carlosrd

Hi all, great info by everyone, I have a problem with the final drive on my Hitachi zx 35u, I have manage to remove the stopper ring/wire but having difficulty removing the face plate/cover, I dont want to crack it by using too much force, is there a special way of removing it? Thanks in advance to anyone offering advice.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Hi all, great info by everyone, I have a problem with the final drive on my Hitachi zx 35u, I have manage to remove the stopper ring/wire but having difficulty removing the face plate/cover, I dont want to crack it by using too much force, is there a special way of removing it? Thanks in advance to anyone offering advice.

Hi Carlosrd, once you have the wire removed you can make a little slide hammer type of tool too remove the cover, it middle drain bung should be 3/8 bsp, you can use the little slide hammer tool to remove the cover this way!

Aiden

mikebramel

Use a bolt with the same thread as the plug. If the drive "collapsed" the primary bearing basically ground itself to nothing or the threads on the hub stripped out so you aren't going to do much more damage