• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi ex200 lc

shannon3115

New to the group. First big excavator. I’ve got a 1988 hitachi ex200 lc. Bought it new it had a crack in the radiator. Could only run it in the yard without being able to dig with it, just going through the motions. Had the radiator rodded, cleaned and repaired. Changed hydraulic filters in the tank, they were dirty. Changes the pilot filter. Changed oil and filter and thought I’d be ready to go. I can run the excavator digging shale rock here in tn for about 30 minutes , and I start getting some hydraulic whine and a little shutter. Every hydraulic function is effected, even final drives trying to track is effected. One mechanic told me the main hydraulic relief valve was bad, so I replaced it. Still same issue. Seems the harder I run it the sooner it happens. When I dig dirt it takes longer to happen. Seems like the harder it strains, the sooner it happens. Or when I dig shale, I do more repetitive short passes before I scoop a full bucket and load into a truck. I took a heat temp gun and have even temps at my oil cooler and pumps and at reservoir. Doesn’t seem my hydraulic fluid or pumps or reservoir are excessively hot. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions where to start checking. TIA

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Welcome to the HEF! Good to have you.
There is a lot to unwrap in this first post.

But, first. Let me say;

We have the skill and we have the tools and we know how to chat.

If you are looking for a Forum, the HEF is where it’s at.

On the HEF is where topics never end. From old hoes to GMC’s, theres always a new trend.

Allow me to take you on a trip. To a place very unique. Where heavy equipment enthusiasts come together and conversations peak.

Hang out on the HEF, where opinions are the norm. From Truck Shop to John C. , they’ve got it going on.

Vetech63

Welcome to the HEF! Good to have you.
There is a lot to unwrap in this first post.

But, first. Let me say;

We have the skill and we have the tools and we know how to chat.

If you are looking for a Forum, the HEF is where it’s at.

On the HEF is where topics never end. From old hoes to GMC’s, theres always a new trend.

Allow me to take you on a trip. To a place very unique. Where heavy equipment enthusiasts come together and conversations peak.

Hang out on the HEF, where opinions are the norm. From Truck Shop to John C. , they’ve got it going on.
You left out us smart elec peasants. ;)

skyking1

what, 3 posts in and nobody asked for a serial number? Buncha slackers need coffee.
Welcome Shannon. It usually helps the pros here if you post up your serial number so they can look at the right schematics and parts at their end.

@Diesel Dave does that machine have a compressor for that?

shannon3115

Yes, I have checked and it does have pressure at the reservoir cap. I am also attaching a pic of the serial as mentioned.

Attachments

• 7473C566-B7F3-497F-9C23-584BDAD43848.jpeg
    7473C566-B7F3-497F-9C23-584BDAD43848.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

skyking1

If the filters and oil were dirty when you changed it, there was probably some dirt in the system that is still there. Can you pull some out of the low point of the tank, where it feeds the pumps? Just to look at it and see.

shannon3115

If the filters and oil were dirty when you changed it, there was probably some dirt in the system that is still there. Can you pull some out of the low point of the tank, where it feeds the pumps? Just to look at it and see.
I’ll see what I can do. Fluid didn’t look bad, the filter was covered about a quarter of the way up from the bottom when I changed it. I changed both in the hydraulic tank and the small pilot filter.

shannon3115

@shannon3115 , I would cycle time all the functions with the hydraulic system cold and then again when warmed up. Will give you an idea of the condition of the main hydraulic pumps.
Check your messages for procedures and specs.
Will do. Thank you. My rabbit light will come on, but it doesn’t seem to engage into high when it’s on. Seems to stay in low cause it will climb well without having to use boom to pull myself up steeper grades

chickenminer

How many hours on the machine?
Does the straight EX200 have the screen on the suction side inside the hydraulic tank like the UH machines ?

shannon3115

8900 hours. Best I recall it had 2 filters inside the tank. The outer was a screen type filter 8-10” tall or so. I pumped all the fluid out I pulled the filters just in case it had trash in it. Once the fluid was out I cleaned the bottom of the hydraulic tank before refilling.