• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi Ex120 Problem

lucian

I have an ex 120-2 that the swing and travel is extreamly slow! They will speed up some when you throw another function into relief . can anyone give me advice on what my problem is or where to start looking?

you should check the 2 solenoids on top of the pump

JhonZpt

Occupation
Technician
3 Doc, you can send me the technical manual of EX120-2, i am reapair this machine.
thanks

1979april

hey my ex120-2 is having same problem,dont really know where to start,i have installed a new rebuilt pump,that I bought ,the angle senser they sent on pump someone cut wires to short where it couldn't be used,so I took mine off my old pump, it like it just keeps stalling out under preasure,I turn angle senser one way and it has some function but under load in stalls out,turn it other way anf it will not do anything,i have cleaned fuel tank,blew out fuel lines ,replaced bad coupling to hyd pump,but I did mange to get it out woods to dry land, please I need help its costing me lost of down time. thks

digger_hunter

hey my ex120-2 is having same problem,dont really know where to start,i have installed a new rebuilt pump,that I bought ,the angle senser they sent on pump someone cut wires to short where it couldn't be used,so I took mine off my old pump, it like it just keeps stalling out under preasure,I turn angle senser one way and it has some function but under load in stalls out,turn it other way anf it will not do anything,i have cleaned fuel tank,blew out fuel lines ,replaced bad coupling to hyd pump,but I did mange to get it out woods to dry land, please I need help its costing me lost of down time. thks

Hey. PM me your email address and I can send you the correct procedure for setting the angle sensor. It's important you set it correctly as it can give weird problems if incorrectly set.

miltonprescott

still having problems hitachi ex100

If you can turn the shaft in the pump easily were the angle sensor goes in, then that is your problem!! That shaft is hooked to the swash plates on the pump and should only move when they move. There is a small pin that holds the fork to the swash plate and that falls out causing your problem. If you are comfortable you can buy the gaskets and remove the pump heads and repair the problem, but you shoul have instructions or a manual. you must drain the hyd oil. PM me if you need manuals.
Thanks -3doc.

Hi 3doc I am having the exact same problem with my excavator I need to check the fork behind the angle sensor and it is not moving by hand. when I hook the ohm meter up I am only getting just under 1 volt. All fluids and any other possibly obvious problems have been check as well can you give me Any more suggestions

RAMATH98

[TEST] I bought a ex 120 not sure if it is a -2 are -3 I was told it was a -3 . there are no ser. # on frame are cab any one know how to find out . I am having a problem when I travel the motor slows down, but if I move ant hand controls rpms pick up and travel speeds up .

RAMATH98

New to this; I was looking on e-bay and there is a conversion kit has anyone Install one and what is the pros and cons . I bought this machine for farm use clean ditches and remove some trees and later dig a pond. The machine is being used now but has some small problems the guy I bought the machine from just changed the computer out and has no change because it would not hold rpms had to keep hitting buttens .

ferg6

Hi all, I have a problem with my 120-2 also, the step motor for the revs started making grinding noises the other day and it wouldn't rev up, I've put a new step motor on it now and it still won't rev up although there's no grinding noises now, is there anything else I should be doin? Could anyone help me out please

digger_hunter

Wouldn't recommend the kit! It slows down the machine and your fuel consumption goes up as well!

New to this; I was looking on e-bay and there is a conversion kit has anyone Install one and what is the pros and cons . I bought this machine for farm use clean ditches and remove some trees and later dig a pond. The machine is being used now but has some small problems the guy I bought the machine from just changed the computer out and has no change because it would not hold rpms had to keep hitting buttens .

Cal from NH

I fixed mine

I'm having the same issue with my Hitachi 120 that a lot of people are having it seems. Hydraulics are killing motor under slight strain. The mechanics in this area are hopeless so I am trying to figure this out myself. It is not a fuel problem for sure. So I am troubleshooting hydraulics. I unplugged all sensors and it made no difference so somethings not working right. I ordered an angle sensor today to replace that. What should I check or test to find out what is wrong? Start at sensors? How and what after that? Thanks!

1994 Ex120-2 Mine had a poor power problem as some others describe and oddly enough it was intermittent. The engine RPM would stay up but the hydraulics would slow down, sometimes so badly that the machine wouldn't travel up a small incline even though the engine was wound right out. It turned out to be a fuel supply problem. A plugged up screen inside the banjo bolt that holds the fuel line from the tank onto the water separator. It was confusing since the engine wouldn't loose rpm and I knew the fuel filter was clean so I thought it was a hydraulic control problem at first but testing the DP sensor, angle sensor etc. produced nothing. When the engine is starving for fuel it dosen't drag down the engine rpm since the pump computer reduces the pump load on the motor to maintain the engine rpm as first priority. The banjo bolt screen should be removed & cleaned whenever the fuel filter is getting replaced. I pulled the screen out with a pick & blew it out with compressed air. I don't think it's a good idea to eliminate it since it catches the big chunks before the lift pump down low on the motor.

One other problem I had a year ago was that intermittently the hydraulics would "lock up" as best I can describe it when I would swing or travel. I would be swinging and then bang!!! the swing motor would just lock up and everything would come to a violent stop, same with traveling. The fix was the 3 wire connector at the pressure sensor on the bottom of the pump. The wire insulation had receded back away from the connector leaving 1/2" of bare wire at the connector (difficult to notice with the oil & dust coating), when the carriage would move the wires would wiggle enough to arc across the wires & give a high pressure signal to the pump control mod, the mod. would then dump hydraulic pressure and everything would bang to a halt for a second then operation would resume as normal. I disassembled the connector & soldered in some new wire leads & it's worked reliably since.

I'm just an auto mechanic playing excavator operator building a house for my family, I'll sell it when I'm done. Hope this helps someone.

mhlak

I have an ex 120-3 having the same problem, sometimes it is really slow then it changes to way to fast. I unplugged the two controls on the top of the pump trying to test the swash plate angle sensor and the machine doesn't sound like it goes to full angle but it stalls the engine when any function is used then the voltage is .909 volts on the volt meter. need some help got any ideas?

mhlak

I tried to adjust the swash plate sensor it only had .9 volts loosened the screws and moved it and the voltage doesn't change.
so I took it off and moved it by hand and the voltage stays the same. so ordered a new one , does this sound like I found the problem?

daddieboy

Occupation
Architect
Hello rgl726 I need some of your help in solving some problems on a Hitachi ex200-2 machine, I have not seen you online but I am trying to create a way I can communicate with you if that's possible.
Thanks in advance.