• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi ex120-5 help needed

63 caveman

I did a swing gear seal on a JD 120 a few months back. I think the seal got damaged by to much grease in slew bearing pushing parts of the seal into grease bath that got picked up and jammed into swing pinion shaft seal. Got the replacement seal from JD dealer and it was an upgraded part (much more robust than the original) and was a bit pricey, over $200 if I remember right.
Good luck

indigo

Occupation
Mechanical engineer / Farmer
Good day
I am not so sure where you might obtain a radial seal would take up Jakex suggestion and measure the dimensions
A point thats worth checking is how the seal became damaged in that way for sure we thought it was the swing bearing but it does not look to be the case, have you measured the displaced ring you may have a possible parts sale.
Kind regards
Uffex
This morning I got the replacement part from John deere AT154177 that superceeds 4244691 and 4424512. They even installed it for me in the cover. It is an improved design much thicker. I do not know how it got damaged in the first place. I cleaned everything when I replace the swing bearing and applied grease on the teeth. I was careful to put back the gromet properly to avoid having water go down in the ring bath. All the parts of the motor seem to be in good shape so I guess I will put everything back in there and check for leaks. I will monitor the oil level in the motor and presence of water in the ring bath and hope for the best.

indigo

Occupation
Good day
I am not so sure where you might obtain a radial seal would take up Jakex suggestion and measure the dimensions
A point thats worth checking is how the seal became damaged in that way for sure we thought it was the swing bearing but it does not look to be the case, have you measured the displaced ring you may have a possible parts sale.
Kind regards
Uffex

What do you mean by '' displaced ring''. Are you talking about no2 on this drawing or the actual swing bearing? Thanksupload_2018-10-24_11-48-36.png

indigo

Occupation
Put everything back together yesterday and got the chance to try the excavator today. I am very pleased with the results, I was able to move some dirt : )

44772666_693134817740404_6036065880096374784_n.jpg

Thanks everyone for all your help.

indigo

Occupation
I found the HItachi ex120-5 parts Manual on the John deere website at this adress:
https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/58764
To my understanding, this would be the US version of the excavator but could be a little bit diffrent then the grey market version that I have. Does anybody know if the parts would still be the same and what would be the differences between the 2 versions ? I am still looking for the part manual by the way. Thanks