• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi EX120-2

knightgang

Well, I had been looking at a EX200, and then a EX120 posted on Craig's list only 1.5 hrs from me. I took a look at the machine and it is pretty tight. Biggest complaint I have is that the bucket is pretty sloppy on the front pin. Seems it is kinda pricey to line bore a bucket to make it right and tight again.

The hour meter stopped at about 4800 hrs, but with the condition it does not appear to have more than 6-7K hours on it.

Issues we found:
Hour Meter not working
Coolant Temp gauge not working (needs temp sender)
Both boom cylinders with minor leaks, probably top seals dry as the machine has been sitting for a little while. (No immediate worry)
All Electronic controls work except Engine shutdown with the key. (Should be a simple fix)
Couple of hoses behind the boom look as though they are in need of being replaced, look to be original

Is there anything else specific to a 120 that I need to be watching out for. UC is in good shape, tracks are mostly good, 2 are broken. It could have seen a grease gun a bit more often, but everything is still tight, so it has not been too bad.

I called the dealer on the Temp sensor and hour meter, and they want like $400 for an hour meter. Where are some other sources for these parts mentioned above? Also, if I get the machine, I would like to look for a used bucket that is in better shape that I can pick up for less than the cost of line boring.

Thanks

knightgang

Also, for the 1993 year model, what is the equivalent John Deere Machine model and were there any significant differences other than the engine. The parts guys at the JD/Hitachi Dealer stated that he thought the 490D was the equivalent JD machine, can someone confirm?