• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi ex120-2 slow/week hydraulics

Mikeyp756

Brought my excavator to a good Machanic and he can’t figure it out ether. He’s talking about trying the conversion kit to bypass the computers. Has anyone tried one and had success?

955cat

Did you have any luck finding information on conversion kit ? I am looking to do the same but would like to talk with someone that has put one on.This is my email if you have any info you could share I would appreciate it. samandcindy3@gmail.com. Thanks,Sam

timbercutter

we are in the process installing a conversion kit now on a 120-3. we have the kit installed and it is better than it was but the boom up down is slower than it should be, I ll try to update when we get it working properly. I saw an old video on you tube of a guy that put one on a 200 size machine and it seemed to work ok.

DFBluffton

any update to this, looking at a 120-2 that has boom down slow, but boom up is fast, maybe its just a solenoid or dirt in valves??

DFBluffton

May just need a conversion kit from electronic to hydraulic straight? If any hitachi experts out there, will pay$$ for service advice and troubleshooting by phone and facetime etc.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF DF;)!

Should have started your own thread rather than piggybacking another.

May just need a conversion kit from electronic to hydraulic straight

With that being said, I would recommend against this. If you do a thorough search in the forum you will find most of the posts related to bypassing the electronics end with the machine still having issues. From what I have read the instructions for those kits are horrible which is probably the reason for the high failure rate. I have never installed one of those kits and I won't even take the time to understand them.

Your issue appears to be the arm in. My first question is have you checked the PVC for blink codes? There is a 4 pin connector behind the right arm rest. Looking into the connector with the lock tab up, short the two pins on the right together. Key on and watch for the blink codes. Post them.

Last edited:

timbercutter

Welcome DF
Was any work on the valve bank prior to this? I had my 120-3 valve bank resealed and had a similar problem (mine was boom up was really slow everything else was fine). Long story short, when it was put back together one piece (some sort of a spacer or cap?) was put in upside down. We tried a conversion kit and it had the exact same symptoms, so went back to electronic. It took awhile to figure out because of the electronics (I ended up with all new sensors).Once we put the piece in properly it worked as it should.

If that s not the case in your situation I would recommend mg's idea of reading the codes over a conversion kit. Also you may want to check your wiring plugs and harnesses, they should be secured so they dont vibrate too much during operation, there are (or should be) clips and tabs on the hyd. pump and valve bank to attach the wiring plugs. If not zap straps or something similar should work.