• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi EX120-2 or -3?

wilko

Need to buy a wiring harness, but need to figure out for sure which machine I have. The plate riveted low on the side of the cab is gone.
An operators manual for a -3 machine came with it, machine looks like the one pictured in the manual, always assumed it was a -3, but when I had to buy a pump drive coupler it used the (much more expensive) -2 version.
Interior controls are identical to the ones pictured in the book. On the exterior of the machine it has the blue and purple offset vertical stripe. Says "EX120" and "Super" on the side. On the door it says "ELLE" and "electronic load sensing excavation system."
It seems that the two machines both fit that description.
Any way to tell the two apart with the tag missing? Because of the drive coupler I'm thinking it's the -2, but I can worry that it's an early -3 with some -2 carryover.
The flip side of the question, what would be the difference in the wiring harness between the two?
Thanks.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I don't think there were any wiring changes from -2 to -3 but.... I'm not 100percent sure ;) I know there's a -3tech manual floating around HEF with all the wiring so all you'd have to do is locate a -2 tech manual and do a bit of comparing ;)

excavator

If I remember correctly the -3 has a couple of extra sensors on the control valve that were not on the -2. Can you post a picture? Especially on the west coast you can't necessarily go by the decals ect. I've seen -1 machines with Zaxis decals on them. The -2 cab was grey while the -3 was blue. I've seen -3s painted grey but they usually don't re-paint everything inside the cab.