• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi ex120-2 center joint

maineplower

I have a ex120-2 with a leaking center joint. Is it worth trying to rebuild it or buy a aftermarket one for $800. Anyone have any experience with the aftermarket ones?

mutti_wilson

I have a ex120-2 with a leaking center joint. Is it worth trying to rebuild it or buy a aftermarket one for $800. Anyone have any experience with the aftermarket ones?
It's not that hard of a job. I bought a Mottrol seal kit from Ebay for my EX60-2 for $75.00. I think the joints are similar between the machines. Crows feet wrenches are your friends for getting the hoses off. I used a ratchet strap to lower the unit out of the track frame and subsequently to lift it back in place. I had to rig up a puller to get the joint to separate but its a pretty simple job. Just takes some time. I did mine in a Saturday.

Falcon1115

Yes it is worth it. I have a deere 160dlc that I just rebuilt the center joint on. When i took it off the seal on the very top was the leaking seal because the shaft it surrounded was a bit rusty and pitted from water and dirt debris getting into it being as its face up underneath the housing. Found out it was a hardened cast material so it could not be built up and turned on a lathe very easily. Ended up just starting with as low a grit as sandpaper as was allowed and sanded/polished it all the way up to 2000 grit to get the area where that seal sat polished up again before replacing all the seals in the joint and reinstalling. I thought i was going to need an aftermarket one also but 175 in a seal kit and 20 in sandpaper and it was fixed. Hope that helps.

maineplower

I took it apart today and rebuilt it. It was really hard going back together and I can’t spin it by hand anymore. I was able to turn it with a big pipe wrench. Is this normal? It came right apart all the seals were junk. Thanks

mutti_wilson

I took it apart today and rebuilt it. It was really hard going back together and I can’t spin it by hand anymore. I was able to turn it with a big pipe wrench. Is this normal? It came right apart all the seals were junk. Thanks
I would say that's normal. I had to do the same thing with mine when I rebuilt it.