• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi EX100-3, does anyone know the equivalent John Deere excavator?

2th-doc

Occupation
Dentist
Hi, does anyone know the answer? I am suspect that it is the John Deere 490e or the 190e. I do know the engines in the jd are different than the hitachi, but everything else is the same. I am hoping someone will know. The 490e cab, interior and controls look exactly the same but this is just from comparing pictures on the net. Thanks in advance! I know very little about heavy equipment so any help would be great!

Tags

I'm fairly certain the Deere equivalent to the EX100 was the 290. A cab from a 490 may very well be the same as an EX100 and a 290 as well but I'm not sure about anything else.

2th-doc

Occupation
Dentist
Thanks for the reply. I can't find a good picture of the 290 (showing interior), I will post some pictures of my unit later today. The main thing I am looking at is the controls and instrument layout as well as some other general features I noticed, all just visual comparison. It is a 1995 machine. I am sure someone has a Deere and that is the same. Again I appreciate the help! Are the letter designations on the Deere models just different years? Thanks

lantraxco

The letters coincide with the dash numbers from Hitachi, so for instance when Hitachi made the change to a -5, Deere went to D or E?

Square cab with the long sticks coming out of the floor?

2th-doc

Occupation
Dentist
Pictures of my hitachi ex100-?

She is grey market with no ssn or tag, it was purchased about ten years ago buy an older fellow who lives near me. He buys a lot and uses little. I have had it a month and I am going through cleaning out the fuel tank and changing filters, checking fluid levels. It works fine with no known problems. The sticker on the side is ex100 Landu V. I figured if I could find the corresponding JD machine it would make my life easy. He told me he was told it was a ex100-3. And I have an operators manual for it.... But several of these mChines look exactly alike. Here comes some pictures if I can figure it out! To me it resembles the 490e more than anything I have found. But understand I know nothing about these..except I love it! Ha.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 378
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 337
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 346
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 324

2th-doc

Occupation
Dentist
Picts

Here are a few more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 318
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 317

2th-doc

Occupation
Dentist
Just learning how to post pictures...

Just learning how to post pictures...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 329
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 317
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 316

2th-doc

Occupation
Dentist
Serial number is 12s-35506. If any one can help me I.D. This machine I would appreciate it. Hell I don't even know if it is a dash 2 or 3. I am sure someone has an idea or can at least point me in the right direction.

2th-doc

Occupation
Dentist
Update**Just searching for hitachi 12s serial number will show other models of the 100-3 with the same prefix. The Serial number for the hitachi sold in the east (Japan, Australia, China ) seems to have a different format than ones sold in North America .
Mine doesn't have the data plate so it took some digging to figure this out. I also found out it was originally owned by Chuck Lee (brother of Bruce Lee) and used in two movies " Enter the Dragon" & "Muppets take Manhattan" (it's the one Kermit is driving). The internet never lies.

2th-doc

Occupation
Dentist
Ok, now I know there is no one reading this...
I should of called it a Kardashian EX100-3...... Or maybe power ball? Yeah, that's the ticket..

backhoe1

I don't think JD made an equivalent to that machine. they quit the 290 with the D series late eighties or very early nineties. Most Deere dealers are also Hitachi dealers so knowing the JD equivalent isn't gonna help you 1 bit. It is a grey market machine and it will be a PITA anytime you need to get parts. Finding out the Hitachi dash number is gonna be way more helpful.

lantraxco

There's just not a lot of information out there about this model.

Wasn't there a guy on here from up in Canada maybe that knew everything there was to know about Hitachi? Dr. something?

hosspuller

Just a point. There is a factory in NC that makes Deere and Hitachi excavators. It's a joint venture. The machines are the same except for the paint and engine. Deere uses their own engine and the Hitachi machines get an Isuzu engine. Your grey market machine may be an orphan without siblings in the USA.

2th-doc

Occupation
Dentist
Thanks for the help! I know it is and ex100-3. I have changed all the filters etc and I will post the JD filter numbers for anyone else. I haven't found that finding parts is a problem at all. I just tell the Deere people what I need and it seems to happen.... But I am not a pro and I use this just to do projects around my farm. In a world where 9/10 of everything comes from overseas I wouldn't feel it would be a problem. I've been told that every John Deere tractor except the 100hp ones are made in India.
Are there no 490e guys out there who can post some detailed pictures? Or even 290 owners as Backhoe mentioned.
I appreciate the replys!

2th-doc

Occupation
Dentist
I guess my reasoning for finding the Jd equivalent is to get a test/repair/parts manual. I have an operator's one but it just covers maintenance.