• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitach zx160 lc3

Knuckleduster

So the transfers or doors on the machine are wrong--they are from a ZX160 LC. No wonder the manual I have is wrong. I take it there is no onboard diagnostic as with the Zaxis machines. Thanks Dave in identifying the beast. Had the covers off the ecu compartment behind seat and checked for busted leads etc and foind a 4 pin port for diag software and a learning switch with a cover over it to stop accidental use.Will need to get trawling around for the correct manual. EX and Zx machines are a different beast. I`m still mistified about these "extra" relays I have found today--one def needs replacing as its about as much good as a teapot in a chocolate factory. Getting a pair on order from Amazon and should be delivered in 24 hours

Diesel Dave

EX160-5 also has a mechanical injection pump ,rpm controlled by a stepping motor and throttle cable to the injection pump throttle linkage.
I still think a turbo boost test would be the next step.

skyking1

Just found this one. Dan, do you get dirt every time you go look?
This still smells of dirt in the fuel. If you've had a couple of clean sumps then scratch that.
Off topic, good on ya for working on the canals. We enjoy them and did a day hire that took us past the trust facility at Calveley. This operator was very interested in the working boats there :)
Cheers!

Last edited:

Diesel Dave

I am sorry, I am assuming it is a 160 size. I know the monitor / switch panel is from a EXxxx-5 .
Try and get a pic of the tag on the main hydraulic pump would help to figure it out.

Knuckleduster

Hi Dave, from my experience of messing about with cars and bikes years ago to fit a boost guage then I woukd have to drill the intake manifold ,tap it and fit a boost guage--done it in the past for boy racers wanting to fit different dump valve to their gas motors so that they can show their friends and fellow nutters how much boost they are currently runnin. Never fitted on on a diesel.

Knuckleduster

I will see if I can find it after a good clean up in there with some "Gunk" which is an engine degreaser that can be brushed on left for 10mins and washed off with water. W`ont use a pressure washer as don`t want anything to get into the soil and be transferred to the canal--would be hung from the nearest tree if I let anything pollute the soil or the waterway.

Diesel Dave

I am sorry, I am assuming it is a 160 size. I know the monitor / switch panel is from a EXxxx-5 .
Try and get a pic of the tag on the main hydraulic pump would help to figure it out.
If you were able to take off the covers behind the seat again, get the part number on the controller, that number would work just as well.

Knuckleduster

Hi Skyking1,
we are very consious of our machines polluting the canal and the enviroment in general. Our arm of the canal is full of wildlife since we rewatered it with plenty of fish, a pair of mute swans that nest and produce offspring every year and usual crop of moorhens and Mallard ducks.It is a precious enviroment that has flourished since we dry dredged it and rewatered very slowly to enable the clay to expand and become waterproof. Just got to fix the leaks hence the piling hammer swinging on our missbehaving digger

Knuckleduster

Diesel Dave , I can get both, Planning to go to machine on Thursday to take pictures and fit water pump to our smaller JCB which is leaking out of the gland quite badly. I have threatened to put the machine out of action completely if anyone uses it before I can change the pump. It would be used if I wasn`t about.

skyking1

do you use vegetable oil where possible? The big pilehammers I have used in recent years are all equipped with a natural oil that breaks down in the event of a spill.

Joe H

How about some pictures of your boat when you're not busy cursing at the cursed excavator?

Joe H

Knuckleduster

Hi Skyling, piling hammer is air operated and lubrication is via a small side mounted tank which has a very small amount of the same vegy oil we use on the power pack on the crane boat. We have just purchased a new compressor with an inbuilt generator and as yet I haven`t looked at it--its a screw based compressor so we don`t have to have the air tank tested every 12 months.

Knuckleduster

Hi JoeH do you want pics of my boat, or our workboats--at the moment have 3. Getting rid of one of them to another society to enable them to do their dredging. That particular one is the uglyist thing you have ever seen--looks like a ww1 drednought. I personally hate the thing slightly more than this excavator thats driving me nuts

Knuckleduster

How about some pictures of your boat when you're not busy cursing at the cursed excavator?

Joe H
Hi Joe H,
I will post some pictures of my boat "Soberano" sitting on her mooring on the arm I am working on also Workboat Diana which is a narrowbeam,spud legged dredger and has recently gone back into service after a full rebiuld including engine (Lister air cooled JP2) and Workboat Louise which is a Hiab equipped multi capable boat base on a 1922 beeet boat. As soon as I can get that crazy excavator sorted out I will be fitting a Mercry Mariner 75HP long legged outboard on her--lot of work. That is my favourite boat and have spent many hours working her and pushing her about with a bantam style 16FT tugboat. Pushed her some 100 miles up the Grande Ubion Canal with a really good boat crew from wher we got he,r to her home base at Cosgrove. You learn by experience how to control a boat going through 97 locks--great fun. Is there a gallery on this forum to post pics? for others to view. As you can tell I really enjoy the canals--I played as a kid all aroung the canals in the heart of U.K. called the black country--it refers to heavilly poluted area due to the industrial revolution in U.K. Now I`m retired I have come full circle and back to the canals--much like a kiddy in a candy store.

Knuckleduster

It is indeed long, but the class is narrowboat.
Yes its is classed as a narrowboat--42ft long and just over 6ft wide. Mine is a semi traditional boat where there is room to steer at the stern and some seating in a semi enclosed steel area. Traditional narrowboats have a small stern area and no seating. Other styles are "tug" which has a flat deck area infront of cabin and cruiser stern which has a flat area behind the cabin. Nearly all are powered by diesel engines although some are now being made with a hybrid system--diesel and electric and other one are true electric boats. We are putting in some charging points now for electric boats much to the disgust of the traditionalists. I don`t care what they think--all I want to do is keep the canals repaired as much as possible and keep an important piece of U.K. history alive for all to enjoy. None of us are paid--we do this for the love of the canals and we do not know the work NO. We rebiult an accomodation bridge for the land owner to use accross our canal arm and was told "You will never do it"--we proved them completely wrong and gave gad it certified for farm traffic (combine harvester and fully loaded seed hopper at 45 tons) We over engineered at somewhat and the load capacity is some 100 tons plus. All we had to start off with was a huge pile of soil,rock and stone. Dug it out and found the canal bed,approach walls al in terrible state--I personally rebuilt the approach walls, towpath walls etc and enjoyed doing it.

skyking1

That sounds like fun, in good weather.
The little day hire was 35 feet and well suited to our needs.