• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Historic NZ Earthmoving Projects

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
I don,t know what happened to those shovels either; I know one was called kimihia, think it was shifted over from that mine. Also the 190 shovel that was shifted up there from reefton ?? It was parked up by the main workshop for a long time. Anyone know ???

dozeron

Hi D6 Merv,
Your thread just reminded me I have some photos of the day we walked the 190 down into the mine for it's prestart prior to going to work in Weavers Crossing. I seem to remember we had some of the 773's from Twizel running with it. I think the old 120's loaded out the remaining Movalls mated with Terex S21 and the Aveling Barfords. Last I saw of the 190 it was parked up out at Waipuna. that must have been about 20 years ago. I have a shot of it I think. Jeeze, where does the time go??? Looking forward to posting images when I can.
Best regards, dozeron.

terexkerry

Merv,the 190 was cut up while I was building part of the access road,it was parked on side of road heading out to Waipuna mine,Kerry

ktl dig

sorry guys but the 190 never left weavers crossing it was walked across the road and parked by the famous bucket wheel at the worksop when hoods took over. the one at waipuna was bigger than the 190 but also older than the 190 it took about 3 months to set up and it took over from the ts32s and 18s when the 785 dump trucks arrived and waipuna went on to 24 hour shifts and it was the main producer with the 785 and doug fargo was still pit boss when the 785s arrived dave the pom set up the 24 hour shifts.

ktl dig

the one in waipuna was a marina and it used to do 3-4 passes to fill a 785 where the 190 at weavers used to do 5-6. hte 190 used to do 3-4 on the 773 hope this helps and the marinas walked ot of waipuna when downers lost the contract

Roadways

Just a question from a newbie, Do any of you golden oldies now or worked for Roadways at Benmore, (they had a fleet of DW21 plus the Big transporter etc.) and how did they got the D8 out on D Day after it stalled and would not restart?

RayC

Occupation
Roading Manager
Hi Roadways.....I havent posted here for a while but I have set up a Facebook page called NZ Road Transport and Contracting-Archives....heaps of great NZ projects being posted included Roadways-Benmore. Over 460 people have joined page so a huge audience....Regards Ray

Lowgear

Occupation
Film maker
Hello Ray, my name is Bill Hohepa. I produce a TV series called Low Gear where we look at the history of vehicles and machinery in NZ.
You can find out more by visiting our webpage at http://www.lowgear.co.nz
I have recently interviewed a man called Max Lye and Mike Higgins at Twizel about their machines and 'the project' at Twizel.
They also talked about Benmore and Avimore Dams. I'm just wondering if I could talk to you and look at some of your photos of the time?
my contact details are on my webpage. Look forward to hearing from, regards Bill