• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Highway log trucks.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Here's a brochure of some trailers in Australia, just a little different to what you guys use in Nth AmericaTrailer_Models_NhighlightedRollover_122_1.jpg

Attachments

• ii.jpg
    ii.jpg
    811 bytes · Views: 983
  • Logging_Trailers_HhighlightedRollover_1222.jpg
    Logging_Trailers_HhighlightedRollover_1222.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 978
  • Order_NhighlightedRollover_122.jpg
    Order_NhighlightedRollover_122.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 988
Last edited:

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
What's with the mud flap in front of the steer tires on a lot of Canadian trucks? Is that a legal requirement or just a style thing?
Its for when you go through a mud puddle on a gravel road the water will not splash up on your windshield .

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
I've got a question for American log truck drivers why are their stakes so short , Ive traveled through Washington , Oregen and California I see one piece stakes that arn't very high and I see loads built up over the top of the stakes ,on the road between Mt. Shasta and Susanville I've seen the odd log on the side of the road. I just wonder why they don't use two piece fold down stakes and load the logs up to, but not higher than the top of the stakes . Our legal highth is 13ft. 6 in. our stakes are usually 12ft. to 13ft high depending how they are ordered.

mitch504

Around here none of the mills will let you in with a log above the bolsters (stakes). Most of them are about 13 feet high

camptramp

Occupation
Are you refering to fixed stakes on a hi boy style trailer pulled by a tractor with a fifth wheel or ones that have a pole style trailer that they load trailers piggy back to take back to the woods empty . I was curious about the ones in the Pacific North West known around here as Seattle Stakes.

camptramp

Occupation
Around here none of the mills will let you in with a log above the bolsters (stakes). Most of them are about 13 feet high
Heres acouple of pictures of a couple trucks with there trailers loaded or being loaded piggy back style with there stakes folded down , then a truck loaded with the stakes standing up . The top half is spring loaded , when you fold it down there is a piece of chain welded to the top of stake and a hook welded to the bunk this holds the top half of stake down so trailer is legal hight on highway, unhook chain from hook and top half of stake stands up when trailer is on the ground ,hooked to truck at loading site. Also shows a truck being loaded with hydraulic log loader and unloaded with a log stackerScan272.jpgScan273.jpgScan274.jpgScan275.jpgScan276.jpg

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I promise, no wisecracks about the Poodle (ROFL!), but that sure is a beautiful old W900B. Just beautiful.

mitch504

All we have around here is fixed trailers. After Hurricane Hugo in 1989 we had logging outfits from every where in to participate in the massive timber salvage efforts. We even had several heli logging outfits!

There were several outfits from the pacific northwest that brought those rigs that carried their trailers back to the woods. We all thought that was the weirdest thing we had ever seen. A few of the trucks were sold here instead of being driven 3000+ miles home. I think they were all converted eventually.

I have always wondered why they were so popular out there? I don't think they are used at all except for a 3 or 4 states out of 50.

ValleyFirewood

Fixed trailers used in Maine... BIG trailers too for the Golden Rd.

Here most everyone runs a folding trailer. Probably because we get them from WA, OR and BC. Loaders on the truck though. Don't have mills here other than small couple man operations, most wood is for firewood.

I can't seem to put pictures on this site, I have 4 or 5 pics on my phone of log trucks unloading at my wood lot.

camptramp

Occupation
Heres acouple of pictures of a couple trucks with there trailers loaded or being loaded piggy back style with there stakes folded down , then a truck loaded with the stakes standing up . The top half is spring loaded , when you fold it down there is a piece of chain welded to the top of stake and a hook welded to the bunk this holds the top half of stake down so trailer is legal hight on highway, unhook chain from hook and top half of stake stands up when trailer is on the ground ,hooked to truck at loading site. Also shows a truck being loaded with hydraulic log loader and unloaded with a log stackerView attachment 108825View attachment 108826View attachment 108827View attachment 108828View attachment 108829
That truck was owned by Dale Weaver and leased to Timberwest, it is brand new in picture 1996 or 97 with old rigging ,I drove it for about 6 months then went back on an off highway P16 Pacific

boardbysled

I have always wondered why they were so popular out there? I don't think they are used at all except for a 3 or 4 states out of 50.

You need them loaded on the truck to turn around at most of the landings. Stinger-steered trailers also track better then 5th wheel style trailers, so they traverse switchbacks better.