• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

High track crawler loader?

312King

Me and my buddy were bsing over the Idea of a high track track loader. I think It would be a great machine. Looks, pushing. what do you guys think

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
The Cat high tracks tend to be nose heavy without any counterweight so that might be a consideration in that application.It seems like the newer track loader designs have the engine in the rear these days.Ron G

BIGBEN2004

High track designs seem to be on their way out. Cat is introducing flat track models in the higher level machines now according to the pictures from Con Expo. High tracks really don't have many advantages over the standard flat track. They are costing allot more because of all the extra steel involved in them.

biggixxerjim

Me and my buddy were bsing over the Idea of a high track track loader. I think It would be a great machine. Looks, pushing. what do you guys think

"Looks" is the first benefit you can think of??

Sounds like thats your main perogitive

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
The tracks would be easer to clean... I'm sure one could be made with a rear engine but you would lose a lot of visibility.

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
Hmmmm a high drive track loader...... No. Not now.... not tommorrow.... not ever.

If you have spent some time in a rear engine track loader like a 953/63/73 you will never want a hi drive model. You already sit very high on the machine platform. Trackloaders are narrower in their size class than a bulldozer, so working on slops is a different feeling. Any angle feels much steeper than it actually is because your so high... and sitting any higher would not be fun. If you still want to play with a Hi Drive in a track loader come to Edmonton... I have a 973 you can play with. Put it on any slope... you'll never think of it again. You'll start designing the low profile undercarriage track loader.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Well generally someone wouldn't pick a track loader for side hilling to start with.

Burnout

Occupation
Probably not.... but we do all the time. We have to slope our ditches so that the mainline hoe can sit on the edge and dig water and sewer services. And..... its fun too!

Burnout

Occupation
Normally when we run water and sewer through a subdivision we run the water and sanitary sewer at the same time in a double trench or double ditch as we call it. My job in the 973 is to backfill this until we are aboug 3ft above the waterline. As I backfill the ditch I actually don't bring any dirt in from the spill pile, I cut it all out of the banks making the ditch wider every lift. When I am getting close to my 3ft above water I end up sloping the walls so that when we pull the services in, the excavator can sit on that slope and dig the smaller trench.

After the services are in, I start cutting out the walls even more to backfill them, and then I have to backfill the entire ditch high enough that we can run the storm sewer in. Basically when we dig the water and sanitary sewer the hole is usually 25-30ft wide and between 15-20ft deep. As I backfill and get to about 5ft of depth for the storm sewer the ditch usually ends up around 50-70ft wide. We call it uniform backfill. By the time everything is said and done, that one ditch is wide enough that I have cut from property line to property line across the future street.

02Dmax

jeez, we're lucky to have enough room to even get our big hoe in there to dig, let alone end up with a hole 50 ft. wide.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
At what point in this sequence does the water line get tested...........how much work is involved to repair it or find the leak if it does not pass?Ron G

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
Water lines that deep are either concrete or 1 inch thick plastic PVC pipe, and the testing is obviously done as the pipe is laid in. BTW, Sureway is in Finning's "Tracks and Treads", quite the article to read! They sure have quite the history of big iron.

Burnout

Occupation
We test the waterline after the services are all in. Usually once the job is finishing up we do a pressure test on the line. All of our waterline is Blue Brute between 4" and 24".

We we go at a new subdivision we go balls out with everything from digging to backfill.

312King

Hmmmm a high drive track loader...... No. Not now.... not tommorrow.... not ever.

If you have spent some time in a rear engine track loader like a 953/63/73 you will never want a hi drive model. You already sit very high on the machine platform. Trackloaders are narrower in their size class than a bulldozer, so working on slops is a different feeling. Any angle feels much steeper than it actually is because your so high... and sitting any higher would not be fun. If you still want to play with a Hi Drive in a track loader come to Edmonton... I have a 973 you can play with. Put it on any slope... you'll never think of it again. You'll start designing the low profile undercarriage track loader.

We have two 953s trust me I have plenty of hours on it. I dont think you would have to make the machine any higher. If you raise the drives you could leave the machine at the same hight. IDK I just think it would be a badass looking machine. I no it will never happen. But Like couple guys mention it seems like every one is going back to flat tracks. John deere doesnt even make a high track dozer. Like I said I think a high track could push more and have a amazing stabilty but who knows cat will never make it.

Burnout

Occupation
It'll never happen. And you would have to make the machine taller. If you wanted to keep the hydrostat that means you would need the drive motors up where the sprocket is, which means the cab gets moved up. Look at the space on a 953, your already sitting on top of the engine and transmission.

Actually Deere put out a study a couple years ago on why they don't make a Hi Drive bulldozer, think about it no one does. It might be a badass lookin crawler...but 973's are bad enough.

Gavin84w

There has been plenty of choices in flat track dozers ever since elevated sprocket was introduced and who is still the clear leader??

ES drive works best with a bogie undercarriage and Cat capitalised on this position with smaller than D8L machines all those years ago, elevated sprocket is now supplemented on the smaller machines with flat track models.

ES will not work in a track loader as the design goals and application of the machine are totally different, not to mention manufacturing cost vs volume sold in an excavator hungry world these days

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
Guys: I just came to your forum these last few days, and I have to say I learned a lot already. but here is my thoughts that I need to ask for some advice on.
I am a Dairy farmer in S.E. Minnesota, and have to make some changes here soon, I hope to purchase a 953 series or 63 series Cat for the purpose of digging our new pit silos and various other drainage jobs as well as working at building logging roads of sorts in our woodland acreages. I've had the work estimated but I feel that maybe this amount of work would warrant the purchase, as well as having the machine for future use. As for logging roads...........guys, don't worry........I'm not going down over the edge.........I've seen what it takes to pull Dozers out of the hole and it don't look fun!
I've had about 20 years experience on smaller loaders and payloaders and skidsteers but this is new territory for me and would like to ask for advice on what to look for in this series machine, what are it's weak points? ,Strong points?
Thanks for your time,

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
As far as high treack dozers goes i love mine.Has giving me years of great service.

Since this is about high track loader and Deere not building one check this out! Who says Deere doesn't have a high track machine!:D

If they can build them this size why not bigger?

Carry on.:usa

Attachments

• Buckeye 7200 038.jpg
    Buckeye 7200 038.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 2,825