• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

High Tensile Pulling Chain

Queenslander

Needed to buy some new chain a few years ago to replace the leads on our old chain, which where worn out from being constantly turned on etc.
Came across this 30mm, 1"3/16, high tensile.
I was a bit dubious, at first, because it looked so small compared to the 2" stud link chain we kept in the belly, but 1500 acres pulling regrowth with D6 size tractors hasn't even put a mark on it.
Neighbour is borrowing it next week to do the same with two D7s, might test it out a bit.
Cheers, Greg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Queenslander.

Looks good mate. Not to many snags with regrowth. We always found the sandy Yellow Jacket country around St George and Bollon was hard on chain.

Best stuff we ever had was inch and a half long link hi-tensile Esco dragline chain had fifty foot behind each tractor . . . dear as but it paid its way.

Nice and light to hook up for us little blokes and, on the straight pull it did thousands of hours even behind the nines.

Cheers.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Is that the stuff with flat sides on the links?

Yeh, mate that's the stuff, seem to remember the fifty foot length came with an extra big link on one end.

I don't know the application either, it came in larger sizes too but the inch and a half was fine.

We often used to use a double or triple chain back in the belly when pulling regrowth seemed to keep the chain on the ground a bit.

Cheers.

Queenslander

From memory, the light chain cost $10/ft about 6 years ago, the 2" could be twice that now.
300 ft is about the minimum length required, regardless of tractor size.
If you're lucky, you might pick up a chain similar to mine for $3000-$5000 at a clearing sale.
Although a much heavier chain, this one is a little on the high side, IMO.
Cheers, Greg

http://www.farmmachinerysales.com.au/buy/private/SSE-AD-3359953/Scrub-Pulling-Chain

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Queenslander That is the style of link of the Esco I was speaking of . . . I don't know if that is the real deal though.

Sixteen grand and I don't see any mention of length? It's done a bit of work but looks in pretty good knick.

Cheers.

Queenslander

You may have missed this Scrub
Seems to be well worn for HT.

Description

This versatile heavy duty chain is in very good condition. The length of the chain is 103 metres heavy duty the middle section is 45 metres the diameter of the link is 3’’ the outside section 63 meters and the links 2’’ in diameter.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Gotcha Queenslander. I missed that, the link was quite unstable and I could'nt scroll the pictures . . . that's just over forty seven bucks a foot, I think most folks would pass unless contracting long term.

Cheers

.RC.

An old thread I know, but yesterday I picked up 600 feet of 1 3/8" chain. Chain seems to be getting harder to get at a reasonable price (this was about 600 a tonne). I heard the mines just cut it up into short lengths these days due to safety reasons. Being that is as long as they can load onto a vehicle with a forklift.

I plan on using some to make a thinning bar to knock down suckers and I will also keep a look out for about 60 metres of 2 1/2" and make a 400ft long pulling chain.

20210619_104952.jpg

Queenslander

For pulling regrowth, I wonder how you would go doing as Scrub mentioned above?
Instead of using 2 1/2” in the centre, double or triple up some of your 1 3/8.

.RC.

I did think of that, however I am not too keen on it for my application I want weight in a singular chain itself rather then have multiple light chains bound together.

skyking1

A bit dangerous I would suppose. Somebody mentioned "sandy Yellow Jacket country" and that brings to mind what all the creatures will be doing around that thinning operation.

Queenslander

So, those blokes are pulling light regrowth, which is easy going.
Looks like they have ,at least, 3” chain.
The big chain is not needed for strength but for weight to flatten the bushes.
Pulling maiden, or virgin, timber is not as straightforward and requires a bit of skill to make it work efficiently.
The yellow jacket that Scrub mentioned is a species of timber here, not a wasp, but bees can be just as troublesome.

Last edited:

The Peej

What do they do to clean up the mess left behind? It's definitely a fast way to knock it all down but what a mess left

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
What do they do to clean up the mess left behind? It's definitely a fast way to knock it all down but what a mess left
I guess it depends what use is planned for the land afterwards would determine what is done with the vegetation. If I'm not mistaken there were a number of large dead trees in amongst the fresh stuff that must have been from a former pulling operation. So I imagine the answer to your question is "nothing".

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Depending on which State in the video and the vegetation clearing laws would be a good reason to flaten this type of regrowth. Many thousands of acres were flattened in Queensland prior to the law being changed even though the owner had no real use for it. The land wouldn't have had any value had the trees been left standing.
As for the clean up, well 20 foot wide stickrakes and even wider a quite common. There have been plenty of pic's n vid's of them here on HEF.