• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

High temp of the front axle oil

Sameh

Good day, anybody can help me about high axle oil temp of 966L loaders. What is the reason and the important thing i want to know where is the axle oil breather?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Good day, anybody can help me about high axle oil temp of 966L loaders. What is the reason and the important thing i want to know where is the axle oil breather?
Take a good look at the posts on the linked thread. In his case it was an operational problem (operator working with his foot slighlty on the brake pedal). You should eliminate the possibility of mal-operation before proceeding further.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...er-front-axle-oil-temperature-too-high.82894/

See the attachment. #2 the Pressure Relief fitting on top the the axle housing is effectively the breather.
If the top of the axle housing is not kept clean those fittings can plug, espcially in muddy job site conditions.
The fitting can be removed and a hose installed. It can be run from the axle housing up the front (or rear) frame and a replaceable breather element installed on the end of it.

Attachments

• Axle Housing.pdf
    261.7 KB · Views: 5

Sameh

Take a good look at the posts on the linked thread. In his case it was an operational problem (operator working with his foot slighlty on the brake pedal). You should eliminate the possibility of mal-operation before proceeding further.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...er-front-axle-oil-temperature-too-high.82894/

See the attachment. #2 the Pressure Relief fitting on top the the axle housing is effectively the breather.
If the top of the axle housing is not kept clean those fittings can plug, espcially in muddy job site conditions.
The fitting can be removed and a hose installed. It can be run from the axle housing up the front (or rear) frame and a replaceable breather element installed on the end of it.
Many thanks for your help but i'm already cleaned the relief but this relief can't do the function of the breather, it only relief the high pressure and don't let the air to enter the axle. The other thing this problem appeared in 2 loaders and the operator behaviour is good. I will trace the problem after cleaning the relief and if you have a data of Why this axle has no breather please help.

Nige

A few questions for you:-

1. You mention 2 loaders. Is that 2 out of a larger fleet or do you only have 2 machines.?
2. Exactly what type of work are the loaders doing.? How many hours/day do they work.?
3. Are the loaders fitted with the optional axle oil coolers.?
4. What leads you to believe that the axles require breathers.?

pedrocar

Occupation
grader operator
I worked for a mob they had Komatsu WA 500s front axel kept overheating ,thing was they were riding the brake while loading komatsu had no trans brake like cat do , where you can ride the pedal feathering the trans Changing the brand of oil helped greatly

Nige

The pressure relief valve performs an important function as the axle cools after operation. It closes and creates a small vacuum inside the axle housing that goes a long way to preventing leaky Duo Cone seals.

The only times I've gone for (elevated) axle breathers on a small/medium Cat wheel loader is when the loader was working up to the front axle in some sort of liquid; process plant slurry pits are a case in point. If the relief valve gets stuck slightly open the liquid can enter the axle housing and mix with the oil to form something very much like valve grinding compound. The first you know of this is when the differential input shaft seal starts leaking and a grey goo starts oozing out. By then it's too late; you're buying a new diff, brakes, and everything else inside the axle housing that moves.

Sameh

The pressure relief valve performs an important function as the axle cools after operation. It closes and creates a small vacuum inside the axle housing that goes a long way to preventing leaky Duo Cone seals.

The only times I've gone for (elevated) axle breathers on a small/medium Cat wheel loader is when the loader was working up to the front axle in some sort of liquid; process plant slurry pits are a case in point. If the relief valve gets stuck slightly open the liquid can enter the axle housing and mix with the oil to form something very much like valve grinding compound. The first you know of this is when the differential input shaft seal starts leaking and a grey goo starts oozing out. By then it's too late; you're buying a new diff, brakes, and everything else inside the axle housing that moves.
Many thanks for these useful information.

Nige

Here is the optional axle breather setup for a 988H loader. The parts listed are for both front and rear axles.
If you decide to go for breathers on the front axles of your loaders I would suggest to use the 194-7264 as a breather whatever else of the parts from this arrangement you might use. The 194-7264 breather is not atmospheric, the relief valve above it "pops off" at a very slight positive pressure and when the oil axle cools it seals above a certain level of vacuum to create a slight suction in the axle in an attempt prevent/reduce Duo Cone seal leaks. So in that respect the installation replicates the function of the original relief valve in the axle housing.

Attachments

• 223-4254 Breather Arrgt.pdf
    281.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Sameh

Here is the optional axle breather setup for a 988H loader. The parts listed are for both front and rear axles.
If you decide to go for breathers on the front axles of your loaders I would suggest to use the 194-7264 as a breather whatever else of the parts from this arrangement you might use. The 194-7264 breather is not atmospheric, the relief valve above it "pops off" at a very slight positive pressure and when the oil axle cools it seals above a certain level of vacuum to create a slight suction in the axle in an attempt prevent/reduce Duo Cone seal leaks. So in that respect the installation replicates the function of the original relief valve in the axle housing.
Great. Do you have I0 number for the media regarding breather installation?

Nige

I’m sorry there isn’t one. All I’ve ever done is worked from a parts drawing. I posted the attachment above just to give you an idea what the installation looked like. To be honest there will probably be very few similarities between a 966L and a 988H apart from the breather, relief valve, and a few fittings/connectors.