• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hi, new member with industry questions

Ifixplanes

Hi, I am a new member to the forum and thought this would be a good place to learn about the industry. I have been running bobcats, backhoes, and welding since I was 13 learning from family members on the job. The last eleven years I have been working as a structural and hydraulic mechanic on helo's and fixed wing aircraft. Turning wrenches and working on big machines is not new to me, my interests have just changed recently to diesel/heavy equipment.

Lately I have been looking at schools to retrain in heavy equipment and pick up work in the industry. ATI and a few othere seem to have solid programs that offer a degree as well, what is everyone's take on these program's?

lantraxco

Degrees are highly overrated, though sadly I suppose "Human resources" drones are impressed by them. Sounds like you already have aptitude, desire, and experience, my suggestion would be take some diesel courses if you can find them at a local community college, and look for an entry level job in the industry, especially at an equipment dealer. I hear CAT has some kind of program also, might check into that.

I will say that I lost out on a lot of experience and training because I didn't go after a dealership service job, seemed to time clockish for me, so I spent all my "formative years" working for used iron dealers and construction outfits. Good experience but not conducive to being a top line tech, more battlefield butchery on out of date iron.

Good luck to you. :cool:

Vetech63

Look for a trainee position at a midsize construction company. It will help you get a little more familiar with different types of equipment and systems. I had a easier time getting on at equipment dealers with that experience. Of course, that was over 30 years ago.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Ifixplanes!

Ifixplanes

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I had to go do a job out of town for a few days with minimal internet acess.

PJ The Kid

Occupation
Mechanic
I'll put it like this, my dad doesn't have a diploma, not even a GED. He is well known as one of the best engine mechanics around. For me to get a job, eventually at the same shop he worked at, I had to graduate hi school, get an associates degree, become master certified, and obtain experience, which I did. Now What I am getting at is there is no replacement for experience, as far as whether or not you can do you job, but the suits like to see it. I knew a guy many years ago, smarted man I every knew, could build, or repair anything and of the highest quality. Never went past the 5th grade in school.

cth008

Occupation
Full-time student and part-time construction inter
In my limited experience, companies are looking for work experience, work ethic, and for someone who will show up when they are supposed to. You probably will not get a job as a lead mechanic in the beginning, but you should be able to work as an assistant mechanic. Working as a lube tech (grease equipment, change oil and filters) might help you get your foot in the door.

canadianbunch

Good Luck!

While formal education is grand, nothing beats on the job experience. The job market is consistently chancing, but I think you’ll learn more from an entry level job or mentor than you would in a classroom. As long as you are humble and willing to learn, there is a good chance that people will see the potential and give you a shot. As usual, all rules of job applications apply.