• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

quiksilvr

Occupation
mad scientist
Hello everyone, I have a possible solution to very popular "THUMBWHEEL SWITCH" problem that seems to plague these CAT skid-steers. I have managed to REPAIR the one in my 226b. I have also repaired 2 other switches for a couple members of this forum. One member had a 229d and the other had a 257b. I can not promise that i will be able to fix it, only that i will try my best to do so. The repair is only for when the magnet inside the switch has deteriorated or broken off. Basically, what i do is replace the magnet, which is easier said than done. I have been improving my technique and procedure and im at the point that ive got a reliable solution now. So anyone who is interested and willing to send me their switch, PM me and we will go from there.
To the Moderators of this forum, i hope im not violating any of the forums rules or policies, as it is not my intention to do so.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
To the Moderators of this forum, i hope im not violating any of the forums rules or policies, as it is not my intention to do so.

Well, let's start with what the forum rules say. Forum rules dictate that HEF is not to be used by a vendor to promote (advertise) goods or services. However, rules allow for a vendor of goods or services to make one introductory post or thread explaining their product or service and can answer questions about that product or service within that thread, additional threads or posts outside the original introductory post about said product or service on the HEF forum is permitted. So, so far it seems you're following the rules with this thread.

quiksilvr

Occupation
mad scientist
Well, let's start with what the forum rules say. Forum rules dictate that HEF is not to be used by a vendor to promote (advertise) goods or services. However, rules allow for a vendor of goods or services to make one introductory post or thread explaining their product or service and can answer questions about that product or service within that thread, additional threads or posts outside the original introductory post about said product or service on the HEF forum is permitted. So, so far it seems you're following the rules with this thread.

thank you :)

Is there an aftermarket switch available?
seems easy to just replace the whole switch. Otto controls has a Hall effect, proportional thumb wheel For under $20. Not sure which output option would work though.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Is there an aftermarket switch available?
Not as far as we know.

The main reason is that the Cat switch has a specific power input requirement of 8v. AFAIK nobody builds a switch of this specification.

It’s not just the physical size of the switch but the electrical parameters under which it’s designed to work.

There are aftermarket switches but they all seem to be designed for a 5v power supply and will not function on the 8v Cat system as @quiksilvr discovered when he bought one and attempted to install it. It fits fine but won’t give the required output voltage range.

Last edited:
Hmm. Thanks for the info. Seems as though Cat has us by the short hairs by not offering the switch as a separate part.
My 257b requires that you maintain a bit of pressure on the thumb wheel to get it to center. Otherwise, the grapple wont stay open or bogs the engine when closed. Quite annoying.

quiksilvr

Occupation
mad scientist
Hmm. Thanks for the info. Seems as though Cat has us by the short hairs by not offering the switch as a separate part.
My 257b requires that you maintain a bit of pressure on the thumb wheel to get it to center. Otherwise, the grapple wont stay open or bogs the engine when closed. Quite annoying.
Yea i looked online and tried to make contact with otto but they never responded. i even purchased one of their switches, $100, in hopes that it would work. but to no avail. if i find out anything new, i will make sure i post it here for everyone.

quiksilvr

Occupation
mad scientist
not as far as im aware of. they do have a calibration wire in the pigtail but its not connected to the switch

quiksilvr

Occupation
mad scientist
yea i meant to say that the switch has the wire but at the pictail it doesnt connect to anything