• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

HEO school, lets do it!

basspro

I was testing at our local 3 in Rancho Murietta, & they said don't waste the 20K on school, because at the end you will not be prepared to take the journeymans skills test (must be proficcient (s/p?) on 3 peices of equipment), & they will then have you test for the apprenticeship anyway. It may be very diferent in your neck of the woods though, but it seems most I have talked to look at these training schools as the red headed step child of the heavy equipment family.

cobraguy

Wow what a day! I started at 8 and unfortunatly had to get out at noon because of a monsoon.lol I was operating a D5G cat today leveling and sloaping, or so I tried.lol Man you guys that do this every day have the best job in the world, and I can totaly understand why peeps dont ever want to give it up. As you can see in the pics there is no shortage of machines.... 5 dozzers, 3 small excavators, and 2 large ones, 4 backhoes, bobcats, a grader, these are only the machines at this site.:eek: There is about 6 acres for us to play in {the pit} here are some pics from today. The trainner I had was very easy going and a nice guy so that helped take the edge off right away...................... OK I supose you guys are waiting for a newbie story eh? well I have one.lol I can remember reading a few post on here about staying out of the deep stuff, ha ha. I found out the hard way at the end of the day when I had to clean out the tracks, took me half an hour.:Banghead Next time I wont try and make a space for the rain water to flow off the field.lol
books002.jpg
books001.jpg
books004.jpg
books003.jpg

cobraguy

I was testing at our local 3 in Rancho Murietta, & they said don't waste the 20K on school, because at the end you will not be prepared to take the journeymans skills test (must be proficcient (s/p?) on 3 peices of equipment), & they will then have you test for the apprenticeship anyway. It may be very diferent in your neck of the woods though, but it seems most I have talked to look at these training schools as the red headed step child of the heavy equipment family.
you are right ... alot of the schools out there are not reputable at all. Lucky for me the school I am in is one of the best around . This school has job fairs and employers come to the school at the end of the coarse to attract the new grads. :cool2

cobraguy

bloody rain!

:( day 2.................. no day 2 it wont stop rainning. Cant ever remember when I was so sad about missing school in the past.lol

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
:( day 2.................. no day 2 it wont stop rainning. Cant ever remember when I was so sad about missing school in the past.lol
we tucked in under a thunder storm once but that was it ...she poured so bad we thought we were gonna have to build an ark ...but keep goin ...you pay you play
im not making fun ...but do your instructors realise you will be working out side ,,rain,snow ,heat and humidity ... that really sucks man .. hope it stop's raining ..

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
they make you stop in the rain?.. do they suply make up time? we kept going, although the excavator i was usuing was much larger (cat 320D) im in the morning though maby the afternoon guys had to call it quits.

some our schools in canada are reconized by the goverment like the OTDS and TTCC they are both good schools apprently! how ever i think i like your school better for the class work i seen they have all the machines seperated into different booklets i just got one 2 inch binder, 7XX pages.

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
At fleming we got books coming out of our counterweights. Just the book on tractor backhoes alone was about 400 pages. As for rain, we didn't stop we kept working. Usually it was pulling out the Dynapac but we worked.

oriden

Occupation
i recived the binder with 7XX pagews for backhoe and dozer along with trench safety and what not then a seprate one for grader and excavator both large as well!

you back at work alex?

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
i recived the binder with 7XX pagews for backhoe and dozer along with trench safety and what not then a seprate one for grader and excavator both large as well!

you back at work alex?

I'm still loungin around ontario kickin tires. I'll be back to the grind next monday.

cobraguy

we had some serious rain out this way, and even though we have alot of space there, when you have 20 plus machines running 14 hours a day digging up the same dirt while its rainning takes its toll on the ground. It was not an issue of any one not wanting to operate, it was a safty issue because all the machines were on the aspalt pile{ not very big... and there was 9 machines up there}. The owner wanted to us all to run.... but the instructors said we cant learn to sloap when its mud soup, you cant learn how to trench when the hole just keeps caving in and filling up with rain. Yesterday they had 2 dozers and one ex stuck. It was not me thankfully. We will get to make up the time.

oriden

Occupation
maby we didnt get as much plus like i said im on from 7-1, keep up the good work and more pictures! im intrested in other schools..

cobraguy

machines005.jpg
machines001.jpg
here is my machine I have been on for 12 hours total, and here is a shot of my trench that I made.
machines002-1.jpg
machines005.jpg
It is almost a mile long and took me about 6 hours. Was pretty tricky being so high up on the pile near the end.....and a little bit scary for a new guy.lol I am completly loving this experience.

oriden

Occupation
very nice cobra!

oriden

Occupation
what is your pits ground conditions like with our warm sunny days here? we finnaly have a chance to blade off the mud and create ditches and trenches around the pit to controll the water flow as we currently have about 4-6 inches of mud..

Last edited:

cobraguy

what is your pits ground conditions like with our warm sunny days here? we finnaly have a chance to blade off the mud and create ditches and trenches around the pit to controll the water flow as we currently have about 4-6 inches of mud..
funny you mentioned it. We opened 60x40x 4 feet deep around the existing pond as you can see in the video, and left a 2 meter dyke in place untill we were done excavating. The real fun part was given to the guy running the dozer when he was able to break through the dyke and drive around in the pond leveling.:D:D:D http://s315.photobucket.com/albums/ll477/cobracomp/?action=view&current=machines002.flv

Last edited:

oriden

Occupation
good stuff!

why are you wating so long HEO girl?