• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help with JD What was that noise?

Michaeljp86

Yesterday I was driving my dads JD and something sounded like it went to hell in a hand basket. The thing is it runs fine. I thought a belt broke and hung up and ws whipping the end around slapping everything making a loud noise. It was so loud I lost me hearing for like 15min. :eek: It sounded like a helicopter crashing into a metal pole barn. It was LOUD. No smoke or anything and it seems to run fine. I heard a little noise after that for a few seconds and that was it.

Its a JD 5500N, it has a 4cyl turbo diesel. Im kinda scared to run it. Anyone know what could have caused this?

Michaeljp86

Never did find out what that noise was. I dont remember exactly when it happened but some time around then one of the cast iron fingers that press on the pressure plate broke off. That may of had something to do with it.