• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help with Cat M318D

JOJOBEAR

Sorry to a pain but as i have only just registered I can not start my own thread. I need advise as my work colleague is facing a disciplinary next tuesday. He was opearting a Caterpillar M318D wheel excavator when enterering the transfer station he curled the arm in towards the machine and has bent part of the machine. The Cat fitter said this has happened before to these machines and some people have a proximity switch fitted. We just want to get as much information for our colleague as the machine although now has a dent is fully opearational and dont wish to see him in trouble

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
JOJOBEAR, welcome to the Forums!

A new member has to have 3 posts in order to start their own threads - it's to help keep the spammers out. You are obviously not a spammer so I moved your post to it's own thread. If you would like the title changed to be more specific, let me know.

Good Luck!

JDOFMEMI

IMHO, as an owner, operators of a machine, especially excavators, should be aware that there is times that the machine can be placed in a position that damages it. Many types of machines are able to do this. The likelyhood of this occuring is increased by quick couplers, and non standard buckets or attachments. This DOES NOT, in my opinion, make it excusable for an operator to place the machine in a position that it causes damage.
On an excavator in particular, the interferance is located in front of the operator, and within +/- 3 feet of his eyes. There is no reason for damage like this other than a lack of attention by the operator. The only exception I could see to this is if a failure of the hydraulics let the boom, stick, or bucket fall, and from your description that is not the case. It is also very unlikely. I have never seen it happen in 24 years of experience.

In my opinion, your friend is likely to recieve a reprimand of some sorts, depending on company policy. I would do anything from a strong warning if it was a first offense and he was a good employee who just slipped up, up to firing, if it was yet another in a long string of accidents. Employee attitude towards what happened will have an effect on the severity as well. Trying to make it to be someone elses fault, or the machines fault, instead of owning up to making a mistake, would not sit well with me.

That's my $0.02 worth. Take it or leave it.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I'd echo Jerry's comments. Initially you asked if there was anything to support the comment "The Cat fitter said this has happened before to these machines and some people have a proximity switch fitted." I already said there's nothing in the system to indicate that.

I have seen operators fired here for trying to cover up the truth (OK - lying) to try to save their sorry asses when in actual fact all it would have taken was to hold their hands up and say "Sorry I made a mistake but I will learn from it and do better in future". Owning up to the error would have got them a warning, lying got them the sack. If the person operating in the wheeled excavator this case feels there is the slightest possibility he screwed up then he should say so.

bigshow

As an operator who has spends lots of time in a 318, it is very possible with a grading bucket to hit the cab, although I have never done it, it can be done. It just boils down to a man not paying attention......

forestroad

Without seeing it for myself, not knowing the situation such as how wide or tall or what, if any other obstructions or distractions were taking place I would assume..........
Inexperianced operator leans forward and slightly to the left to get a better view of the boom/stick height as he enters the structure, not aware that hands probably still nervously clenching the joysticks, particularly the left joystick if Cat controls and suddenly ................!!#$%@@#!!.

If he were my employee my response would be, keep your %!@@#%@! hand off the !@%!n left stick next time you go into a #%^##@! biulding or under some !!@#%&^# powerlines!!!!!!
Been my exp if they're a promising young hand that it won't happen again, some bent sheetmetel is expensive but better than the potential ass chewwing I would get from my customer if my guys had damaged his biulding.

Last edited: