• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help with bid estimate

tootalltimmy

I have a demo house to bid on
It is around 1800 sq ft with two floors and a 20x24 garage that has been turned into living space. There is a small basement about 10x16 feet.

I can rent 40 yard bins to haul the demo material away. The concrete will be removed and fill the basement in.

What would be the ballpark number of bins it would take?

What would the approximate weight of a full 40 yard bin be? ( with no concrete)

I would do the foundation last. It might go as fill to a site that is after clean fill. It is possible it would go the same place as the other material and have to pay dumping fees.

The land fill ( dump site) is a 2 hour round trip. I have a tandem dump truck but it would take a long time to get it hauled.

Thanks for any tips you might have. This would be the first one I did.

Attachments

• demo1.jpg
    demo1.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 612
  • demo2.jpg
    demo2.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 632
  • demo3pg.jpg
    demo3pg.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 621
  • demo4.jpg
    demo4.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 609
Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
A couple of more question on your potential project:

- Are there any personal contents still inside the house? Like furniture, clothing, boxes, junk, ect.

- Are you removing any landscape/hardscape outside around the house?

- Will you have to use water for dust suppression?

I have never used 40's for demo only 20's and 30's. An average 30 with normal residential demo debris weighs in around 6-10 tons depending on many variables, the biggest being whether the material is wet or dry. I would assume a 40 yard could push 10-15 tons or more depending on material and conditions.

Also does the house have an asbestos siding? It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like T111 (non-asbestos) vertical siding on the bottom and aluminum horizontal siding on the gables.

Last edited:

tootalltimmy

I would say water should not be required but I will ask about it. There are a few questions to ask before I bid. Septic tank: stay or not? Asbestos?

CM1995: Where would you start on the actual demo? Middle? End? Roof? Wall?

The place is pretty much empty.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
no asbestos, no foundation i would bid for $2500 plus dumpsters, and there is probably 5 40yds. there

you'll have to break up the floor so to not hold water, and they'll probably make you grade the lot to drain.

hope it helps.

BTW: if you had dumpsters there in front of you it would take 3-4 hours

Pj

Kingston

Occupation
Spires & Co.
I was going to say 4 x 40yrd dumpsters min. Don't forget permits, heating oil tank removal, gas, elec. disconnect, pumping septic, capping septic lines, and inspections. Up here 8-10K for everything. This does not figure a hammer for goofy thick pads, walls etc, masonry and stone removal and disposal. Start on the roof, use a 311 sized machine min. w/ thumb. Crush everything up (reducing it) over the hole (foundation/basement). Load out crushed up debris into dumpsters. Strip out cooper as you go. Change air filter when you are done.

tootalltimmy

Thanks for the tips. Regarding the concrete, will my Case 135 be able to break it up? At what thickness does it become a job for a hammer?

Attachments

• Triple T.jpg
    Triple T.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 554

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
lol, ive broke 8-10" with a 315 many times, all you need is the first peice and then use the concrete as a hammer and you'll be fine. Last demo job was a slab on grade with 24X36" footings below a 8" slab, i pulled every bit of it with a 315C.

everyone has thier own technique, but i load directly off the house.....meaning 1/2 the house will still be standing while 1/2 the house is in the dumpsters. it saves time that way because thier is no need to reduce debris when ur using 40yd cans....they are already going to be heavy enough that the drivers will complain.

there is no cost here for service kills and we jsut cap the sewer main and throw a bag of cement against the cap and cover it up.

BTW: you should be able to take care of that in 1 day ;).

Pj

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Forgot to ask a very important question - How much are your 40's costing? Flat rate, haul+tonnage?

I would start at the garage end, collapsing walls and debris to the inside and give you a ramp to reach the second story section. It's easier to handle the gables if you are higher up instead of wrestling with them from the ground.

I would say this project would have 8-10 30's just for house. Without knowing what the foundation looks like, I can't say how many boxes for that.

Not including the box costs, I would say between $3500-5000 for equipment and labor. Depending on how the site needs to be left, I would say 2-3 days total for demo and haul-off. Add more days for utility disconnects, septic tank, lot grading and mulching if required.

Like has been asked before, are you responsible for the utility disconnects? If it has a septic tank I would price that as it's own line-item for pumping, inspections and removal/filling.

tootalltimmy

I was told they were looking after the utilities- gas, electricity, water. I am waiting for answers on the bid deadline, septic, landscaping. Have a call into the bin guy but no answer yet.