• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

help with a ls170

borken ls170

i have a new holland ls170 i need to know how to get the lift cylinder off but this thing is stuck i need to get it off so i can weld the frame back together:Banghead

Attachments

• ls170 007.JPG
    ls170 007.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 755
  • ls170 001.JPG
    ls170 001.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 820

irwin

Bummer.. :(

What ever it takes is how you get it off... jacks, pullers, heat. Try to take any tension off it (jacks, prying tools) and don't give up. The trick is to remove the tension.

Should you give up, the local HE repair shop might get it freed up in 10-20 minutes..;)

borken ls170

the square part moves free but the round thing is stuck what part do i heat the other end is off so no tension left

irwin

the square part moves free but the round thing is stuck what part do i heat the other end is off so no tension left

You have the pin out right? So the bushing is siezed to it?

I guess we need to know what is siezed to what. If it's the bushing, cut it out and install a new one durring reassembly? If it's something else...?

By lift cylinder you mean boom cylinder?

(a link to Messicks http://www.messicks.com/newhollandparts.aspx )

Attachments

• boom cyl aab.jpg
    boom cyl aab.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm not a NH person, and I'm not exactly certain of what your working on, but I'm gonna wager that "round thing" does not move. I can't tell in the pic what your working on, but if it is in fact the loader arm lift cylinder, I would say you have to pull the pin for the opposite end of the cylinder to release it from loader frame, then you could remove the cylinder from the round thing on opposite end of cylinder that does not move. Just a wild guess.

irwin

In your top picture the round thing is the pin.. You removed a bolt from there..yes?

I'm not familar with your machine, but pins can be tough to remove... first make sure there isn't any locking bolt still in place... your picture isn't very helpful... once you are POSITIVE there is no other part securing that pin.. heat up the the inside, more than likely the pin is siezed to the bushing .. but ..First take a look at this..

#41 is the pin in the first picture

#31 in the second picture appears to be on the cabin side of the pin, is it still there? Not sure what it is, but it's at the pin hole.

Attachments

• pinbbbabb.jpg
    pinbbbabb.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 737
  • cababb.jpg
    cababb.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 766

irwin

I'm not a NH person, and I'm not exactly certain of what your working on, but I'm gonna wager that "round thing" does not move. I can't tell in the pic what your working on, but if it is in fact the loader arm lift cylinder, I would say you have to pull the pin for the opposite end of the cylinder to release it from loader frame, then you could remove the cylinder from the round thing on opposite end of cylinder that does not move. Just a wild guess.

Thanks for jumping in, I think he's saying the other end is disconnected, but the round thing is siezed... I'm guessing it's the pin .. but hard to tell from the pictures... :)

irwin

One more picture.. #16 is the pin (#22 is the bolt, #3 is a washer)

Attachments

• boomaabb.jpg
    boomaabb.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 708

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Thanks for jumping in, I think he's saying the other end is disconnected, but the round thing is siezed... I'm guessing it's the pin .. but hard to tell from the pictures... :)

Well, I'm real reluctant to jump in on this one because I know very little about NH skids, TD25c knows much more about them than I do. I just can't tell much about the assembly of the unit by looking at the pics.

stovein

the round thing is the pin with a taper on it, hit the arm with a heavy hammer on the side of the arm at the bushing and it will break free. by on the side I mean at 90 degrees to the pin. It comes out toward the inside. That is the maintenance manual way of removing it I don't think any heat will be necessary.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
the round thing is the pin with a taper on it, hit the arm with a heavy hammer on the side of the arm at the bushing and it will break free. by on the side I mean at 90 degrees to the pin. It comes out toward the inside. That is the maintenance manual way of removing it I don't think any heat will be necessary.

See, I told ya I know very little about NH machines. Bah ha ha ha :tong

And you're spot on frogfarmer, the phrase that drives me bonkers is...

"All we gotta do is..."

Never works that way. :cool:

borken ls170

ok it took me 4 hrs to get the inner cab out but this is were in at:Banghead

Attachments

• ls170 008.JPG
    ls170 008.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 595
  • ls170 009.JPG
    ls170 009.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 615
  • ls170 010.JPG
    ls170 010.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 619

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Wow.. How about some JB wield, color should be spot on. Next is a ride to the nearest Richie Brothers auction site. Take your 6K and put it towards another machine.........just a thought.:beatsme

frogfarmer

My #1 answer would be abuse. I service New Holland skids for an asphalt contractor who is constantly working them at capacity. Top of the cab and lights are destroyed from tipping into trucks. Never broken a boom in tens of thousands of hours they only buy New Holland. I service the same model units for a concrete contractor who could tear up an anvil. They have cracked and traded 4 units that I know of. Asphalt guys no extreme mechanical failures. Concrete guys have at one time or another had to replace every driveline component. Concrete guys buy whatever is cheap with the same results. Two seperate contractors using the same units with completely different outcomes. ABUSE!!!

borken ls170

i got this unit from a garden center i payed 6000.00 for it it has 4000 hrs did i get the Stinky end of the stick?:throwup