• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

help on choosing an excavator.

CAAM

I like to know opinions of these 3 brands of excavators, Caterpillar, Komatsu and Daewoo. The model i like to choose is a "Cat 320C, japan made" or similar in the other brands.

I am from Osorno, Chile (almost in the very end of the planet, je je je), Whe have several brands here, Daewoo, Caterpillar, Volvo, Hiundai, Komatsu and some others. But I have to choose one of these.

Cat 320C, 2004, Used and imported from japan, aprox 1800 hours. US$100.000.-
Komatsu PC200, Used in Chile, aprox 2000 hours US$99.000.-
Daewoo 225, New, US$100.000.-

Thanks.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
I not sure what your area is like, but I imagine parts availability is going to be very important. Either Cat or Komatsu is going to be best for that. I don't have enough experience with those machines to recommend one above the other, but I doubt Daewoo has the dealer network that can match the other two. Hopefully that helps a little bit.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Daewoo was bought by Doosan Heavy Industries or something like that, I don't know how that's going to affect their parts availability, not really sure how good it was before the sale. Cat or Komatsu would be your best bet, 2,000 hours is nothing on an excavator.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
All I can add is that 320C and PC 200 are a proven excavator that has used world wide without any major dramas are significant faults. If they have been adequatley maintained then you should have no problems.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
You might better off with Komatsu I'am not a big fan of their machines but they are a little more world wide than Cat.