• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

HELP !!! No start 580sl

BIAVAEX

Hey guys need some help I'm stumped.... Been about 20-30 degress. Hoe left on the job no start. 200 amp charger(spinning good) added 5 gal fresh #2 and supplement. New Fuel filter, cracked line fuel coming out. Fuses good on panel. Thing won't even hit on ether??? Block heater was not pluged in. Plugged it in for about an hr still no luck:beatsme

What's next??

bill onthehill

Did the filter have any water in it? Sounds like it could be ice blocking the fuel lies. Have you bled it at the injectors? When it shows up suddenly after it gets good and cold I always look for water in fuel. Check the fuel shutdown solenoid to be sure you are getting power to it.

Last edited:

knucklehead1

Occupation
Heavy Equipment, Truck mechanic
Very common up here when it gets cold, fuel line down along frame with ice chunk in it. Good luck!

RHINOS TRANNYS

From experience I have come across the fuel shot off not engauging. Turn the key to the start mode and have some one see if it moves. If it does not move put the forward/reverse lever in gear and hold it there, now turn the key to start. Nothing will happen, now while holding the key in start put the forward/reverse lever back into nutural. I have come across two machines that that is the only way they will start. Hope iit helps

BIAVAEX

From experience I have come across the fuel shot off not engauging. Turn the key to the start mode and have some one see if it moves. If it does not move put the forward/reverse lever in gear and hold it there, now turn the key to start. Nothing will happen, now while holding the key in start put the forward/reverse lever back into nutural. I have come across two machines that that is the only way they will start. Hope iit helps

I was wondering if that could be an issue. Pardon my ignorance but where is the fuel shut off located? I am going out there tomorrow and going to throw a heater under it and wrap it up. IDK if it could be water or not.... The weird thing is it wouldn't even fire up off of the starting fluid?? Thanks for the tips... Nething else u have up ur sleeves can only help

RHINOS TRANNYS

What a dumb___, check the wire connector to the shut off solenoid, you make sure it is plugged together if it is unplug it and plug it back in. Maybe the connection is bad. The dumb___ thing is about me

Bartlanz

Occupation
Field Service Engineer
I'de be worried give that your not getting some kinda chugging or faining running off of starter fluid... How was it running the last time it ran? How many hrs on the machine?

RHINOS TRANNYS

Did some ckeck. Do you have a series 1 or series 2 machine if you have a series 2 machine it is like I decribed. If you have a series 1 machine There is a 1 wire fuel shut off solenoid on the top and to the back of the injector pump. And I have found bad connections there also. It is just a push on connector and they get loose some times. I should have said it before, but the wife was talking to me, and she get mad if I tell her to shut up that I am busy.

amunderdog

My 2 cents....
Could be that the old machine is so woren out it cannot build compression when extremly cold. If it would not even try on either thats what i think.
I drove a truck with a wore detriot series 60. If it got below 32F had to leave it running.
It would crank two sets of batteries dead before it would even think about trying to start.
Get one of them propane blat heaters and a canvas tarp. make a tent over the front of machine. Let the heater run for awhile to warm everything up. If it is not to windy it can be done with a trash can lid full of charcoal. Block heater but it would take around 24hr and would not heat everything.
Good luck.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
New Fuel filter, cracked line fuel coming out.

Just curious, was there straight fuel comming out of the vent when you bleed the new filter?

Not saying it's your problem but we've had the same problem Bill and knucklehead1 had with our sk- ice in a drooping rubber fuel line from tank to inline filter.

Tinkerer

Take everybodys advice ahead of me . If it won't at least crank faster when giving it ether. I would remove the air filter element put the air cleaner back together without the element. With the element removed there should be absolutely no restriction in the air piping. Then crank the engine to see if it is pulling air. If there is hose somewhere in the air piping it could be collapsed (seen it happen). Or a set of worn out valve guides combined with low compression could be another possibility.