• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help needed

xrlentau6

Occupation
Desk bound and needing to get outside
Hello all.

I need a bit of help. Am quoting for a job of laying a pad for a transportable home where I am digging out fill, and laying 100mm (4") of road base. The road base then needs to be compacted.

This is not something I have been involved with before as most of my jobs result in concrete being poured.

To compact the road base do I need to get a roller, or is a vibrating plate as used for paving good enough? (I am guessing I need to use a roller, which is fine have spent many hours running back and forth on cricket pitches)

Just need to get the price right, as at this stage I dont have a roller.

Cheers for your help.

Turbo21835

Thats not really a thick lift. What are you going to be spreading the stone with? If its a skid steer with rubber tires you should be able to compact things good enough with that. A plate compactor will also compact that thickness. The other good option would be water. Depending on drainage of the area, you could "flood" compact the stone. Place the stone, and put as much water to it as you can. To the point where it is saturated. With warm temps and good drainage the excess water will leave the stone in a day or so. Leaving a stone base that is as hard as concrete

tylermckee

A walk behind plate compactor, or a walk behind roller is plenty for 4" of stone. a roller will just get it done a little faster.

xrlentau6

Occupation
Desk bound and needing to get outside
Thnaks for your relly's, and ues I will be using a skid to spread the gravel, its a 20mm stone mix that sits pretty firm.

Have found a place I can hire a roller for not much more than the plate compactor and just inclued into the quote.

At this stage havent heard back which might be a good thing. (see new thread under skid steers)

Thanks again .

Pave_A_lot

Occupation
Asphalt paving
Use a ride on vibratory roller, Wet the gravel down before you start rolling this will help push the air out of the material to insure you get maximum compaction